An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Research Chemicals, a.k.a. "Bath Salts"

Discussion in 'Designer Drugs (Synthetic Marijuana, etc.)' started by OhioTom76, Oct 26, 2014.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

These go by a whole slew of other nick names including "bath salts", "plant food", "shoe deodorizer", and many more.

I'm surprised these don't have their own section within the forums considering their rising popularity in the past 10-15 years. In fact I would venture to say most of what is being sold as Cocaine or Ecstasy is really just a variant of one of these, since they are still relatively easy to come by from what I can tell.

I got drawn into these about three years ago, and went on a bender for several months before finally stopping once and for all. The effects were very similar to cocaine/ecstasy in most, but not all cases. However, considering how inexpensive the active chemicals were in them to begin with, I was also under the impression that they really weren't "cut" as much as standard street cocaine is - there would be no need to.

Many of these chemicals you could buy a raw gram of them from overseas labs in China for like $8/gram (granted you had to buy them in bulk). So I was assuming most of these "Bath Salt" shops were simply buying large quantities and thinning them out with stuff like dextrose and packaging them up in fancy packaging and selling them off for like $35 for a half gram.

There were a few bad experiences though, that really threw me for a loop. One of them in particular was called "Mad Cat" or something like that, and not only did it not give me much of a high, it sent me into a near suicidal depression for several days straight. I was literally crying for like three days non stop. Some of the other ones just tasted really horrible and burned my nostrils without any buzz. One of the worst of them left a fishy smell in my nose for days that would not go away.

I think the biggest thing that lured me back into stimulants - after having quit cocaine 10 years prior - was how cheap it all was, and how I could literally have it delivered to my house by the USPS.
  2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

From
    From the sound of the "Mad Cat" drug it almost caused you to lose your life. Its interesting that the effects the drugs you are talking about are just variants of cocaine and ecstasy. Committing suicide from the effects of the drug shows how powerful some drugs are when we use them.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

That's actually when I first heard about bath salts, too. Toxicology reports never found them in his system, although bath salts have been known to send others into similar episodes. They're a cheap and highly potent drug that extremely dangerous due to both factors. Bath salts aren't even that difficult to get a hold of, either. :confused:
  5. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

This is the first time I have heard of such horrible drugs. I do not understand why people will take this "depression drug". Don't we want to happy rather than sad? It's strange.
  6. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Why do you call them depression drugs? "Bath Salts" is just a catch-all term for research chemicals sold legally in headshops or online. These substances are typically substituted cathinones like MDPV, a-PVP, mephedrone, methylone, etc. When doses are accurately measured out, the experiences can be very pleasant and euphoric. The problem is that they're labeled as "not for human consumption." Because of that label, the companies aren't required to post dosages or chemical lists on the packaging. In addition to that, the chemicals were often mixed and the doses weren't distributed evenly throughout the package.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Well this has become news to me, I have never thought or heard of this version before, it seems to be a dangerous, like the mad cat you are talking about, I can not imagine, crying for days, that is serious stuff.
  8. Dola91

Dola91 Member

Wow. I was totally unaware of this. I am terrified that addictions such as these exist. I heard a horror story where someone actually resorted to cannibalism using this drug.
  9. Rob93FL

You're referring the case in Florida where the suspect bit the victim's face off. Toxicology reports showed that there were no "bath salts" in his system.
  10. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Generally speaking the less chemical substances, even in a simple bath, the better off you are. You can add special minerals and natural ingredients to make a bath more enriching just the same.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  11. Rob93FL

To be fair, everything is a chemical. There is no such thing as adding "less chemical substances."
  12. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Wow thanks for sharing your experience. I hadn't heard of bath salts until it was in the news last year. They always sensationalize everything so it's interesting to hear the perspective of an actual user. I've never had any urge to try them, even less after your comment.
  13. wulfman

Errr yea you can argue that love is chemical also. Simply synapses in the brain firing at one another. You know what I meant. Processed foods versus making your own salad. That is less chemicals in your system because the fresh food you eat will not contain any preservatives so there is such a thing as ingesting LESS chemicals.
  14. wulfman

No bath salts found in the system of the 'Miami Cannibal' according to the article. This made my hair stand up. Unbelievable. Some type of mental disorder I think rather than any substance abuse in play. 4 shots to put him down. He didn't stop after getting shot once. And growled at the officer like some type of animal. For a bible... that was in his car all along.
  15. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I'm am still amazed by the things people will ingest, smoke, etc. to get high. This is good information. I'm a parent and a grandparent. I need to know what to watch out for, since people will put almost anything (things I'd never expect) into their bodies.
  16. wulfman

Years back at my local supermarket they just randomly one day put all the cold medication and Nyquil behind glass cases. Apparently kids (teens especially) were getting high off of them.
  17. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I believe that's because some of the ingredients in those products are used to make meth. I'm sure some people do take the medicines to get high though.
  18. Rob93FL

I doubt kids were buying pseudoephedrine to make meth. They were more than likely purchasing cough medicine for its dextromethorphan.
  19. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Yeah, tha cannibal case was also the first time I've heard of bath salts, and I frequently confuse them with smelling salts. I think it's pretty ridiculous what people do to get a high, not to mention we have no idea what the results could be. Nonetheless, I think education is key to prevent these incidents from happening.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

These substances are much more dangerous than their more traditional counterparts, in my opinion. For one thing, the older forms have been experimented with and perfected for decades if not centuries. Granted, not all of them have this advantage but surely they have a lot more refinements than these brand new ones that only exist because of the bans on their safer substitutes.