An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Researching Atheist NA Alternative Resources

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by HexWoman, Jan 1, 2016.

1. HexWoman

HexWoman Member

Hello, All! My 45 year old boyfriend of 10 yrs admitted to me last night that he is ready to fight his cocaine addiction. He has been clean for almost 9 yrs of our relationship. He still smoked weed and loved his beer, but was able to drop the cocaine which had destroyed his life, cold turkey, in 2006 with no help from others. Over the past year, he has relapsed and admits he's a slave again. He is ready to attend his first NA meeting this week, and I want to support him every step of the way. I might add he does not have insurance or the money to be able to pay for inpatient or outpatient treatment, so he is trying to do this through other alternatives. He has a good paying job, but has been blowing his paychecks on his habit. He is an atheist, and I am afraid he is going to have a hard time with the 12 step program requiring faith in a higher power. I have been reading and researching all day, looking for extra support for him. I would appreciate others feedback and shared resources. He is frustrated that he was able to overcome his addiction on his own before, but now, can not seem to get control of it on his own.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@HexWoman... I posted this in another thread you commented in, but I'll post it here as well. I'd like to suggest that your boyfriend look into SMART Recovery meetings. They are a 12-step alternative and there is no "higher power" stuff involved.

Here's a summary of the SMART Recovery program, from their website:

4-Point Program

The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program offers tools and techniques for each program point:

1: Building and Maintaining Motivation
    2: Coping with Urges
    3: Managing Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors
    4: Living a Balanced Life

Our Approach
    • Teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance.
    • Provides meetings that are educational, supportive and include open discussions.
    • Encourages individuals to recover from addiction and alcohol abuse and live satisfying lives.
    • Teaches techniques for self-directed change.
    • Supports the scientifically informed use of psychological treatments and legally prescribed psychiatric and addiction medication.
    • Works on substance abuse, alcohol abuse, addiction and drug abuse as complex maladaptive behaviors with possible physiological factors.
    • Evolves as scientific knowledge in addiction recovery evolves.
    • Differs from Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and other 12-step programs.
    Tremmie, pineywood and kgord like this.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It looks like you might have a good alternative with the program that Deanokat suggested. I thinking going to NA/AA meetings are not everyone's cup of tea, and this may be something that you can use. You might also look for some holistic treatment methods that don't necessarily focus on AA or NA...but it is clear he will probably need some kind of follow up if he can get sober again.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I'm glad there is some alternative programs out there incase you don't believe in a "higher power". No matter what your personal beliefs may be it's still important to make sure you get the help you need. At least he has taken action, not just saying things without backing them off, so kudos to him and I hope his journey continues.
    deanokat and pineywood like this.
  5. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

HexWoman

I have also dealt with this situation, too. Nowadays, faith plays a role in peoples lives at different levels. For me, the most important step is the crucial need to believe in oneself. When you place your strength beyond your reach, it can become impersonal and this situation is extremely personal!

What I mean is that - yes - it is important to reach out for others when needed to overcome addictions but to bear in mind that it always comes down to each persons individual strength in themselves to believe they can overcome through the assistance of resources available.

Wishing you and your boyfriend perseverance with kindly thoughts as you begin this journey together!

deanokat likes this.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am dealing with much the same situation with my husband. He talks about going back to his NA meetings but has yet to do so because he always has issues with the religious part of it. He was clean from cocaine for quite some time and now he is back to using. I want to help him and support him but until he makes that first step there is not much I can do.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think looking for online smart recovery tools would be a good thing to do. It is simply one of the options to find when you are looking for recovery meetings that are non faith based in nature. It might be what some people need. Good Luck!
    deanokat likes this.
  8. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

He NEEDS God. So I hope he finds redemption through Jesus Christ, the only one true God and Savior.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

It seems to me that the program recommended by Dean might be the best one in view of his beliefs or lack of believe in a higher power. While I am a firm believer I recognise that many are not and would recommend whatever other useful source of help there is out there.

Hex Woman I wish your husband well and I will remember you both in my prayers.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Not everyone has the same belief system, so programs like NA don't work for them. Please respect that, not everyone needs to believe the same you do, not everyone needs to be christian in order to fight their addictions. And no, I'm not an atheist myself or anything like that, but I feel a bit annoyed when I read comments like those... because atheists can totally kick their addictions as well.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is a great thing that he wants to fight it and become open about it. There could be support groups or organizations that could help him as he does not need to fight it alone. You are also there to support him and fight with him to totally get rid of the addiction.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Agreed!