An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Resolving Adderall Tolerance

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by blur92, Jan 17, 2015.

1. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I have been taking stimulants for about 3 to 4 years. The majority has been generic Adderall at a dosage of 30 mg, but before being regulated I tried various dosages of this, Vyvanse, Adderall XR slow release, Ritalin, and probably some others. There were a few breaks within this time period some of which lasted 5 to 6 months. In the first couple years I did not take it daily either. Now, for about the past year I have been prescribed 30 mg of generic Adderall. I take it almost daily. Occasionally I split the tablet and may or may not take the other half in the afternoon. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it would take for my tolerance to decrease? Also, would splitting the tablet and taking one half in the morning and one half at night have make improvement? I was thinking that because I am not receiving the dosage all at once then my tolerance may decrease a little. Anyone have experience with this issue?
  2. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I think you should talk to your psychiatrist about this. A lot of what you may perceive as "tolerance" might just actually be your body acclimating and you feeling less side effects (the "high" or "euphoria" being one of them).

It's best to take the same dose of your adderall every day, unless otherwise directed by your doctor, because people with ADHD need stability in their brain's dopamine levels. Many people with ADHD produce enough dopamine without adderall, but the dopamine levels don't peak when or where in the brain they should. When you don't take your adderall or don't take enough, you very well might be reinforcing those original dopamine pathways that are counterproductive.
  3. blur92

See, I have had doctors tell me to take it for school and skip dosages on weekends. Moreover, it's been suggested to take occasional 'drug holidays.' Personally, this is difficult for me because I have been on it for so long. I do not believe only the side effects are reduced but the performance of the drug as well.
  4. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

Yes they usually tell you to skip your doses on the weekends and seeing as the drug is so effective when overused a lot of the time people don't really listen to that advice and they continuously use it through the weekend as well.
  5. blur92

Still, it is difficult for me to skip an entire dosage. I have been splitting the pills in half with some minor, gradual success, though. There are days I take a full dose but not as much as before.