An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Resources for College students?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by sammy, Jan 4, 2015.

1. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

For college students who are grappling with being away from home for the first time and being faced with alcohol and partying for the first time and are concerned about their own alcohol consumption and use, who is best to suggest they seek help from on campus? Health center? Counseling center?
  2. Charles P.

Charles P. Community Advocate

Most major colleges and universities have resources that the students can turn to on campus. This was taken from the University of Southern California's web site, just to give you an idea of what is out there.

Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students (BASICS)
    BASICS is offered to all USC students who are concerned with or want to learn more about their alcohol use in a confidential and judgment-free environment. To make an appointment, call The Office for Wellness and Health Promotion.
    sammy and FilmFan like this.
  3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

On the college campus itself, it's sad but there really isn't a ton of help. If you reach our for help while you're living on campus, chances are they'll bring it to the President of the school and the authorities, and the least they're going to do is put you on academic probation for drinking or doing hard drugs, and the worst is that they can kick you out of your dorm or out of the school entirely, or arrest you for it. I've seen it happen to kids, regardless of if they were asking for help to get clean or if they were just not careful enough hiding it and they got caught.
  4. FilmFan

FilmFan Member

Hello sammy.

Actually, I think that most campuses have many available resources for students. Charles P. provided an example from USC. You may have to search for "alcohol" within a college/university website and browse around to look for resources. Depending on the school, some common places to look online would be with the college/university Student Affairs, Student/Residence Life, Student Advocacy Center (or similar; basically, a hotline to direct student's call when they have a problem and don't know where to turn), and Student Health (they will have numbers and connections to counselors). There is also likely a division or department around that deals with parent relations, so that if a parent has a concern, they can raise it and find the appropriate help.

In addition, since partying was mentioned, this can be a sad reality with colleges and universities. But, most campuses provide lots of other avenues and activities to keep students busy and make better friends. There are tons of clubs and other institution-sponsored options for students to meet others with similar interests and have fun. It's at least a great preventative measure to hopefully align people together through a common interest or activity instead of letting that bond be made through alcohol alone.
  5. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

Wow - I had not thought about that. I didn't think this could be one of the consequences for seeking help but yes, I could understand how this might happen especially for schools how have very low tolerance for alcohol/drug use.
  6. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. It's for a young relative who was home for the holidays after her first semester away at school. She dropped some very obvious hints that she is drinking and partying fairly often and I caught her actually draining some beer bottles and wine glasses as she was cleaning up the table after dinner. I should have said something when I saw that but honestly my reaction was "ewwww, gross!" I will see her again before she returns to school and I wanted to just casually mention how she might find resources on campus in case she feels she need someone to talk to. I already mentioned that underage drinking is a bad idea as is excess drinking.
  7. hellonamesdana

I mean, for example, my best friend is on academic probation even with his good grades because he was caught smoking marijuana in a dorm room halfway through the semester. He had to go to a bunch of hearings with the president of the college and a few members of the board about what sort of punishment he was going to get. They confiscated everything, put him on probation so that he can't join a lot of certain clubs or join a fraternity (which he really wants to do) or view things correctly for his bills and stuff, and he was also forced to do both an online drug counseling course and an in person drug counseling course. That's just got getting caught one time. If he gets caught with basically anything else again, he'll get kicked out of school. And this is just a state college!
  8. 003

003 Community Champion

Most of us does this in college - but to only very few that it has gone worst that they're schooling was badly impaired because they couldn't get away from it anymore. And those who had don't have problems simply from being away from home. Even before they went to college, they were already suffering from a great blow, or perhaps it just happens during the college. But, if longing is really the case, then I would suggest that he gets home during weekends, which some of my classmates do. It would also help to join orgs.
  9. hellonamesdana

I learned a few days ago from a friend of mine that my college has a counseling center on campus in the health center (which I knew) but you're only allowed to have 10 scheduled appointment with a therapist, like EVER. Not per semester, not per year, like the entire time you're there. You're also allowed "emergency" appointments which don't count towards your scheduled appointments, but still it's ridiculous to me! They really expect these students to become completely cured and not need any therapy at all after only ten visits with a therapist?
  10. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

My undergraduate college was pretty tight with the D.A.R.E. program and held seminars and group get-togethers for students who were struggling with this kind of situation. I don't know of any programs like that at the place I go to graduate school now, so I suppose each college is different.
  11. hellonamesdana

They really don't have programs like this on a lot of college campuses. I've been to four different colleges so far in my higher education career and none of them have had programs like this. Counseling centers are available to students but only a certain amount of them are free before they start charging you to go there and get help, and the majority of the time they aren't professionals giving you the help that you need, just random people who are somewhat qualified for the job who needed a job or who knew someone to give them the job.