An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Respecting others

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by sunflogun, Apr 21, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I've grown up in a smoke environment even if I had allergy problems, my dad didn't care and he smoked anyhow. He still continues smoking, but not when I visit with my kids. I feel that each one is free to do what they want with their health, but they need to respect others!
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

One of the biggest things is that most people don't understand the harm of second hand smoke. I don't know, maybe I see too much good in people. But I think it is not so much as a lack of respect but more of a lack of education. That's is what I see in my area. Most smokers go to the smoking area if they want to smoke. The people I see smoking in public areas are usually vagabonds or people who seem like they don't have access to information like laborers. I mean, I have the luxury of the internet to gain info. But the masses are rarely afforded this info.
  3. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I agree. Some people do not understand the ramifications of second hand smoke. This "can be" especially prominent in older generations. At the same time, I would careful to assume and generalize the field of a laborer. My husband is a working class blue collar man and wonderful provider. He is also a smoker. Yet, he is an informed consumer, watches the news, gets on the internet, exercises 3 to 4 times a week, and eats his fruits and vegetables religiously. Sure, he is trying to stop smoking and cut down significantly, but he is still a smoker and a laborer. :)
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It is your kids. If you don't want your kids to inhale that smoke then tell your parent to put the cigarettes down. Plain and simple. Things are different now that you are out of the house and have your own kids. Protect your kids.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think if smokers (and non smokers) had more respect for each other then a lot of the actual no smoking laws could be done away with.

I'm a smoker but I only smoke in designated places outside, and I don't smoke indoors at all, not even in my own home.

I think if more smokers accepted the fact that it's only right to smoke as and where they won't affect others then it would cause a lot less problems.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think respect should be shown like smoking in the house or the car, and if someone does not want it than they should be respected and the smoker should not continue doing it and smoke somewhere else. I think if good communication is done, than both sides can understand as well and also get respect from both sides. I reckon, more people should learn about how smoking can affect others and also need to see how second hand smoke occurs.
  7. sunflogun

One thing I've learned really soon is that our liberty ends when someone else's start, so sure, we can do whatever we want even if we are hurting ourselves, but we don't have the right to hurt other people, it's not fair and should be illegal.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

Yes, I agree. I's not fair for non-smokers to have to suck on someone else's smoke. I'm the only one who smokes in the family. My father smoked, but he passed away, so that leaves only me to carry the smokers torch. Whenever I visit my brother, I always go outside if I have to smoke badly.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Its not fair and should be illegal? In most places it is illegal to smoke in public places and I agree with that. What I don't agree with, or like is the fact that non smokers think they have the god given right to look down on and think they're better than the people that do smoke.
  10. sunflogun

That is the right thing to do. More, passive smoking can cause more diseases than effective smoking because according to what I've heard passive smokers don't develop the resistances that smokers do.

pwarbi, yes, in most open public places, but what about closed spaces and at home?
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with your post. Sometimes, people are too inconsiderate of others. I hate it when people would smoke near me, and they would act so insensitive as though there were no other people around them. Didn't they know that second-hand smoke is more dangerous to health? It's unfair.
  12. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

That sucks. I developed asthma because of my dad smoking too, and from then on my mom forced him to go smoke on the balcony. I got used to people smoking if I go to visit them and they are so set in their ways (like my granny), but I really think it's more respectful for them to at least go out, wait, open the windows or have a fan or something. I mean, I love my granny and other people I go see only once in a while so it's fine -- but I could do without the teary eyes and the disgusting smell that clings on your clothes and hair.
  13. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I totally agree. We need to respect others and not cause others to stumble. I personally grew up in a family that sometimes didn't respect the fact that I have asthma, and some family members would smoke really close to me. I tend to get bothered when that happens, but I usually tell them that they shouldn't smoke around me because it makes me feel ill and makes it for me hard to breathe. They did respect it and went outside for a smoke and I'm thankful for that but I feel for you and I hope it gets sorted.
  14. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

It's awesome that he is trying to cut down on his smoking and that he has the knowledge and understanding that second hand smoke is dangerous. Unfortunately, laborers here in the Philippines are ill-equipped to understand that. Smoking or any vice for that matter is rarely tackled in school. My school had it in the latter part of its high school curriculum. Most laborers only reached high school electing to work before graduating. Media also barely elaborate the dangers of smoking. The last time I heard a reporter or news anchor discuss it was when they raised the sin tax 3 years ago. Education and information dissemination is not really a luxury our laborers have. Sure, packs are sold here with warnings on them. But the masses usually buy cigarettes on a per stick basis.

Don't get me wrong. Some white collar people contribute to the problem of second hand smoking. But that just shows how much of an inconsiderate jerk a person can be. It's really hard to deny the fact that in the Filipino context, respect barely scratches the surface of the problem and that education, in both the formal and informal media, is lacking.
    pineywood likes this.
  15. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Oh, thank you so much for taking the time to explain the situation in the Philippines. You know sometimes, it so easy for me to jump to conclusions that everyone is afforded the same opportunity of being educated and informed. It is good that you give me a reality check.

I agree with you about how just because a warning is on the side of a cigarette pack, that is enough of a deterrent. It certainly was not enough for me and my husband. Gosh, I stand corrected! Your response really made me step back and look at the bigger situation on a global scale! Have a great day or evening whenever you read this reply!
  16. sunflogun

I lived in a pretty similar scenario. I am just not sure if my breathing problems were developed because of the smoke, but I surely got worse with it. More, my mom is a passive smoker for decades now, I hope nothing wrong happens to her.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Definitely! I really hate it when I am walking outside like in an overpass and then someone there is smoking. More hateful when they blow the smoke it was almost just in your face. I really leave a bad look on such person and make sure he or she will get the message that what he/she did was a bad thing. Really sad thing that public smoking is not strictly prohibited here although there were ordinances about anti-smoking in public places already.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Both of my parents smoked and drank excessively around me when I was growing up. I never knew any other kind of life until I left home when I was 16. I smoked myself for many years before I was able to finally give it away for good. I don't mind if people smoke around me in wide, open spaces, but I sure take exception to being confined to a small room with a smoker. The smell on his/her clothes alone is enough to make me feel nauseous.
  19. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My dad was a smoker up until about 10 years ago and he always took it outside so that my mom and us kids did not have to breathe in the smoke. I smoke until about 4 months ago and I always smoked outside too. I was always respectful of those who did not smoke when they were around me.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I agree with you. To me, smoking cigarettes is a person's individual choice - there is enough research out there about the negative effects of smoking that if someone chooses to do it then I think the ball is in their court. However, I don't want to be subjected to breathing that in, nor do I want my child to be! I get quite angry when I'm out in a public space and someone just lights up a cigarette and the smoke is wafting towards me or my family. It's inconsiderate. And this is coming from someone who used to smoke -- I really tried to be considerate of others when I did, but some people don't extend the same courtesy. For what it's worth, smoking was one of the worst habits I picked up and I'm so glad I quit...the smell now makes me feel nauseous!