An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Responsible Drinking a Myth?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've seen it here on the forum and I've also heard alcoholics [living in denial] claim that they drink responsibly, they aren't addicted, and so on. Much as their alcoholism won't be deemed to be an addiction until they have no control over it where and when exactly does someone begin to lose control?

Truth be told, there's a very thin line between being in control and losing control. You could be a "responsible" guzzler today and tomorrow you are an alcohol addict.

Your thoughts? Is "responsible drinking" an excuse alcoholics use because they dare not face reality?
  2. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Well, no. That's my opinion, and here's my background: my parents are regular drinkers, one to four times a week. I don't drink. My parents know how to drink responsibly so they don't get drunk, and usually only a glass or two.
    Responsible drinkers definitely do exist, but also could be a myth for alcoholics living in denial. It's an easy excuse.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I have to agree with you on that one. One or tow doesn't mean your an alcoholic animal. There are such things as social drinkers or a glass of wine after a meal. Alcohol in general is not a bad thing but I don't see any harm in a glass or two and still be able to function normally.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've come across the "responsible drinking" excuse before. An acquaintance would claim that she didn't have any issues with alcohol because she only drank after she'd put the children to bed. She would also say that as she only drank wine, not hard liquor, she was absolutely fine.

Personally, I drink 1 or 2 bottles of beer a week. An ice cold beer is a real treat for me and that's probably the best way to continue looking at alcohol - as an occasional small treat, nothing more.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I consider myself a responsible drinker. I know my limits and I never allow myself to get out of control. I can drink socially with friends and have a good time. I can go long period of time without having a drink or ever feel the need to have one. My SO on the other hand has to drink every weekend and sometimes through the week. When he drinks there is no limit. He does not stop until the last drink is gone. He drinks to get drunk and to be totally wasted to the point where he blacks out. He doesn't know what it is like to have a few drinks. Responsible drinkers do exist.
  6. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

In my case, responsible drinking does not exist. My dad is the poster child of responsible drinking and I don't know how he does it. Right now, I'm no longer drinking everyday. But whenever I do drink, I can't stop until either I run out of booze or if I'm puking/passed out. I know a lot of "responsible drinkers" and hopefully I can become one. It's that or I stop drinking altogether.
  7. MerMer21

MerMer21 Member

No. I believe that you can, in fact, drink responsibly. I enjoy drinking every once in a while. I know my limit and usually I don't even get close to that limit. I may not be the best person to speak on this topic because I very rarely drink and I don't have issues with substance abuse, however, I know people who drink heavily. A friend of mine was drinking almost every single night, a lot of beer a day because they were depressed they could no longer have marijuana. And although he was a heavy drinker (5-8 beers per night and shots of whiskey every now and then), I still believe he drank responsibly. He had a BAC calculator and he kept track of each drink. Other times he would say "if I feel like I can only handle one more beer, I know i've had enough and it's time to stop". He takes driving drunk very seriously and I've never seen him act disorderly in public. He never drinks to the point of throwing up or blacking out like many immature college students do. That, to me, is a responsible drinker. Not everyone has self control, but my friend does.

I think the point of losing control is when you ignore the signs that show your recklessness. Most people know they have a problem and choose to ignore it. And honestly, it's not just with alcohol. People fail to realize that you can become addicted to anything. Of course drugs and alcohol are easiest to fall victim to, but it is a choice. And some people can definitely choose not to drink too much. Yes it is possible.
  8. artkat96

artkat96 Member

I think the term "responsibly drinking" COULD be used by alcoholics in denial, but I think a person could actually be a responsible drinker too.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

A person can be a responsible drinker but I don't think an addict could call himself that. When you say you're done with an addiction then you're done, point blank. You don't become a responsible drinker after you had a bad history with alcohol.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Implying it isn't such thing as "Responsible drinking" also excludes the good part of alcohol. I'm personally at crossroads: While some people are entitled to use this term because, yeah, they do drink responsibly, I also believe it can be used by those who live in denial. Something in the terms of: "Yeah, I'm an addict, but hey... I drink responsibly in my own limits!". That isn't good.
  11. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I don't think someone is a 'responsible drinker' if they drink a decent amount more days that not. A glass of wine some nights, that's a different story. To me though - a responsible drinker is the person who knows they are going out to party one night and makes appropriate plans. Only going to have X number of drinks. Designated driver or plans to take a taxi home. Those kinds of things.
    Someone who has numerous drinks most nights, even if it's after the kids are in bed, is not a responsible drinker!
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am not sure what drinking responsibly even means unless you refrain from getting into.a vehicle and driving after you drink. You can have irresponsible drinking habits if you are at home and drink too much. I think it is all an excuse.
  13. run2live

run2live Member

I am living proof responsible drinking is real. I took two years of complete sobriety to make sure I could control my drinking, because I was a problem drinker (not quite an alcoholic yet) and needed to learn how to handle my own emotions without being under the influence.

Now, I drink occasionally in social settings. I do not drink to excess, and I drink only to celebrate something great happening either to myself or someone I love. I learned my limits, and now I don't cross them. That said, I don't know whether someone who develops a chemical addiction to alcohol is capable of such control. My step-grandfather was a chemically addicted alcoholic, for example, and he could not have a just a sip of beer. It was always only a binge.

I hope this helps!
  14. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

I believe you can drink responsibly. Drinking responsibly is having a designated driver or staying home that night. It is not over drinking but doing it in moderation. It is also better if you are not doing it every day. If you are you may have a problem.