An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Resting

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I'm not sure that resting can do much good, to be honest. I think that it is a much better idea to try and keep active whenever possible, as this gives the best chance of keeping the mind occupied and therefore away from whatever substance they're trying their best to avoid. I know that keeping busy was the key for me anyway, and I know of a lot of other people who are the same, too.
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Yeah, not pushing yourself too hard is a must too. Gotta know your limits and how to stay inside of them!
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I make out a schedule, and I stick to it everyday... to a tee. and always have just a little bit of time to relax and stay to myself.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Resting is pretty important for a recovering addict since they're probably exhausting themselves everyday trying to improve certain aspects of their lives but I don't think they should rest too much. They should go out there and 'fight' for themselves.
  5. LilAnn

It happens to a lot of people that they spend too much time resting. Its hard for them to get up and do anything at all. The middle ground is extremely important
    Shimus likes this.
  6. Shimus

I completely agree. You must balance rest with activity, but never completely exhaust yourself. That is bad too. Just rest enough you feel can take on the day, try doing some activities - if you're weak, rest. If you can keep going, keep going. Just don't force yourself into resting or activity.
  7. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

There needs to be a balance. I don't think sitting around all day is good for anyone much less an addict, but having regular sleeping patterns and getting good rest is so crucial to being healthy. It helps with metabolism, energy, keeping your weight in check. It's something that often gets overlooked when people try to get healthy.

Having a support group of family/friends to make sure a recovered addict isn't having thoughts of relapse can help squash some of those concerns. But finding that balance of working a solid amount and getting good sleep is something we all struggle with and should look to improve upon.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Recovering from addiction should not be "resting time" but on the contrary, time to get hands on something to get the mind busy and away from cravings inviting to relapse.

After addiction, body is debilitated due to lack of vitamins an nutrients lost during addiction days. Nonetheless, this situation might not serve as excuse to get someone lying on a sofa or bed all day long.

I believe the addiction time has been a long waste of time "resting" so, why do someone should need more rest during recovery?
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

They need rest, but that does not mean there is nothing they can do. They can play video games, work online or even clean their compound, as long as they are not idle. They can also go swimming.
  10. Shimus

True. It's all about keeping yourself occupied in the right manners for the right periods of time and not letting it grow to unhealthy lengths, truly.
  11. LilAnn

In my opinion, if you have access to the internet, there's NOTHING you can't learn, or learn to do. I'm old enough to remember not having all the information in the world available to me, in my house, 24 hours a day. You should figure out what you can get into thats going to hold your attention. Personally, in just the past 6 months I have learned to knit, crochet, speak in sign language, morse code, all kinds of recipes, home remedies, and information on being an electrician.
  12. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

That's true, I really try to keep my mind focused at all times on something or another because I know where my rested mind idly goes to thinking. Of course everyone needs to rest though so just need to find the right balance for that individual person, everyone is different.
  13. LilAnn

I went from one extreme to the next. I watched tv from bed, 24 hours a day. Then I was constantly doing something. Both of those extremes can be as addictive as some drugs.
  14. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, I don't think that is convenient to let an addict rest that much, this person needs to know how much rest is good for them, but after that, is always healthy to keep their mind busy. As human beings we have the permanent need to feel useful for something or someone, and if this person feels useless they can feel anxious or depressed, and as you've said, that leads to thinking about using drugs again.
  15. Rex

Rex Community Champion

I think you need to get you eight hours sleep but beyond that staying active is so important. I think we covered ways to keep busy in other threads