An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Right Drug, Wrong Use

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, Apr 17, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I don't know if you've heard about it but there's this anti-stomach ulcer drug that is being wrongly used for illegal abortion. The people who use it are mostly teenagers who accidentally become pregnant and are not willing to continue on with their pregnancy. It's quite disturbing because more and more people seem to have more access to this drug despite the fact that it is strictly a prescription drug. What measures do you think should be done by proper authorities to prevent the abusive use of a drug which is supposed to be therapeutic, not deadly?
  2. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Do you have more information on the subject? Care to share to name of that drug or you simply don't remember it? If more teenagers find out about its existence they might falsely assume they are immune against pregnancy and that's when things would start spiraling out of control. I just hope this doesn't turn into a hype or something.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Unless it causes the teenagers harm I don't think I'd really mind it. I don't think these types of drugs are addictive either so at east they wouldn't have to worry about that on top of probably having to worry about being pregnant at an early age.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Are you referring to misoprostol? This drug is routinely used in medical abortions. It is sometimes prescribed to people who are taking certain anti-inflammatory drugs as it will also prevent stomach ulcers.

I had no idea that teenagers were obtaining it from non-prescription sources though. Do you happen to have a link to the story you read please?
  5. Merricat

Merricat Member

It is indeed misoprostol, and it's not teenagers that are obtaining it but women of all ages who are living in areas where access to abortion is restricted or outlawed. You can purchase it over the counter in Central and Latin America, and you can also purchase it from online pharmacies but it's not guaranteed that what you're getting is actually misoprostol. There are also organizations like Women on Web who will send misoprostol to women who live in countries where abortions are illegal.

This is a good article about the rise of misoprostol use in Southern Texas, where people are smuggling it over the border because of the lack of abortion access.
  6. Merricat

Merricat Member

It's far safer than any other form of terminating a pregnancy by yourself, but it's still of course not as safe as an abortion performed by a doctor in a medical clinic. The main problem is that they may not know how many to take or that they may think that the pills need to inserted vaginally in order to work. And of course they might end of having an allergic reaction to the drug if it's the first time they're taking it.
  7. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

Well, I think awareness about the drug being used for this purpose is a good first step. If its in the news, if doctors are are more aware about the condition of their patients, etc, I think that could go a long way to stopping the improper use of the drug. If it is a prescription only drug, it's kind of sketchy to think how teenagers are getting the drug from doctors or if they're buying in another way.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This is shocking. Pharmacies should start asking for a doctor's prescription or just about any proof that the person who intends to buy the drug does have stomach ulcer. If the buyer cannot present such proof, then the pharmacy reserves the right not to sell the drug.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I think it is indeed misoprostol if I'm not mistaken. The brand usually used is Cytotec. In my country where abortion is illegal, it is accessed through illegal sellers. They access the drug through referrals. I'm just puzzled as to how these traders get their supplies when they cannot be easily bought in pharmcies. It worries me because the lives of the women who use it are also at stake. Abortion when not done medically could be life threatening to the woman undergoing the process.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's quite alarming. These kinds of drugs should not be purchased that easy in drugstores/pharmacies because some teenagers are using them for abortion purposes. If teenagers are not ready to raise kids yet, they should not practice premarital sex in the first place.
    gracer likes this.
  11. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Interesting. I guess you're right though it is risky to experiment with this type of thing especially if you don't know the right dosage. Good thing we now have a lot of online resources that Dan help or at least there are places we can ask but even then I'm sure there's a few out there who wouldn't even bother checking first.
  12. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

Actually these drugs are made for medical use only. In most of treatments these drugs are used as medicines .
    Drugs are very important in medical field for treatments but people use drugs in wrong way.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

You mean Misoprosto. The packaging name is called Cytotec which is sold for the treatment of ulcers. However because it has a high adverse reaction of accidental aborting the fetus (90%), it's use for just that has sky rocketed.

That is a blatant misuse of a over the counter drug for abortion. In the Philippines this is the drug of choice because abortion is illegal. It's either the pill or a back alley operation using non surgical tools.

But it is shocking that people are using that as an option. How do we address it? I'm not sure. Prescriptions perhaps?
  14. Merricat

Merricat Member

I think the only way we can really address it is to make that women have access to doctors and full reproductive health options including birth control so that they do not find themselves in this situation in the first place. There will always be women who get pregnant and don't want to be, and if they don't have any options they will start resorting to desperate measures.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is my first time to read or know something about this anti-stomach ulcer drug. I think the least authorities can do is to check the patient first if she is pregnant before prescribing the said drug. Although some might just use other people to get the prescription and the drug for them.
  16. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Wow. How can people then come up with "not have premarital sex in the first place" when it comes to this? Obviously this is very conservative for a reasoning but people should be aware that abstinence programs don't work. The only ones who pretend they do is the ones pushing for these programs and lobbying for a more conservative society... What works is good sex ed, a wide array of easily procurred birth control methods, and a government that does not regulate women bodies.
    As such, if they choose to get a pill to abort in a country that criminalizes it, it is better than throwing themselves down the stairs or using knitting needles for it.
    Merricat likes this.