An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Risk Factors for Children

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by irishrose, Nov 20, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

According to the National Institute on Drug Use, their are five common factors in children who use drugs. The following are risk factors which make a child more likely to do drugs than other children:

• Early aggressive behavior in the individual.
    • Lack of parental supervision.
    • Peer substance abuse.
    • Drug availability at school.
    • Poverty
    What are some ways that we, as a society, can eliminate these risk factors, so that less children start using drugs in the first place?
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think hands on parenting and guidance will lessen the possiblity of the kid wanting to experiment with drugs, because a child that has a close relationship with his parents does not need to try hard to fit in with his peers by using drugs, because he knows it will disappoint his parents who expect him to make the responsible choices in life.
  3. AnDaughtery

AnDaughtery Member

That isn't always the case my parents (dad) were hands on with my siblings and I and we experimented with marijuana. its not always the parents problem but I can say that I probably would have tried it either way. My mother was actually the first person to introduce it to me. I'm not saying your wrong just that it doesn't always work.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think in a lot of cases the parents do try their best but the amount of peer pressure that children are under these days sometimes no matter what they do they can't stop children from experimenting.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think teaching kids about drugs both at home and in school would in theory convince children to stay away from drugs, there's no guarantee that it will work. Kids should be closely monitored both at home and in school. This is in addition to teaching them about drugs can be the solution.
  6. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

The path for our children actually begins with our own lives. We must ensure that we keep ourselves educated and certified enough to hold good jobs that can eliminate your children's wants. A child that is educated and well taken care of will be less likely to get mixed up in the wrong crowd, doing illegal activities such as drug transportation and consumption. Furthermore, it's not enough to have kids, but we have to be parents. Parents look out fir their kids
  7. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

You have a very good point there. External influences from friends and the media seems to outweigh the internal influences of the homes.
    pwarbi likes this.
  8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Lack of parental supervision is a big one. I could have easily gotten into drugs because of this. Everyone seemed to trust me with everything I did and let me go out on my own constantly. It would have been so incredibly easy for me to get into drugs and never look back.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Parents should educate their children, and I'm not referring to the "just send them to school" way. They should teach them how to think for themselves and make a difference between good, bad and neutral choices. It may not seem much, but most people often skip doing this, thinking that telling their children "don't do that" is enough. Prohibiting them something is not so effective later in life, when they are supposed to be "free".
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I was actually talking to my husband about this just the other day. I was saying that these days in society we're faced with situations where a lot of the time, both parents have to work -- the cost of living these days seems to be a lot higher so it seems just out of necessity most households have both parents working. With situations like that it can be tough for parents to be aware of what their kids are up to for big periods of the day, and schoolteachers end up being under pressure to try and educate young people about the dangers of drugs - but there's so much more that they're responsible for too that it ends up being like they're stretched thin.

I wish there was an easy fix, I really do.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that educating kids in school about the dangers of drugs can help them be aware of it. Also making them participate on anti drugs activities like having group activities or re-enactment or something that could help them avoid illegal substances.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I believe that proper education about substance abuse could somehow deter children/teenagers from dealing with drugs. Of course, the parents should also keep a good eye on their kids, and try to guide them well so they wouldn't be easily influenced by their peers.
  13. pwarbi

Education from school on the subject is a big concern, and while a lot of parents do try and approach the subject, a lot will leave it up to the education system and that's not necessarily up to scratch at the moment.
  14. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

You can very much be wealthy and your kid comes out as an addict. You could send your kid to the best school and he still comes out as an addict. What you need to do is invest a good amount of time into your child's life to ensure that they are spiritually guided.
  15. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

We have some good teachers in the educational system. I personally had some of the best teachers in my time. Those of us kids who ended up having such teachers were indeed blessed, especially those of us whose parents were failures in playing their parts.
  16. pwarbi

A lot of the time the failing isn't with the teachers, and if you asked them they would welcome more education on substance abuse, but it's the curriculum that doesn't allow it.

There seems to be a mixture of opinion that tackling the issue shouldn't be up to the education system but like we've already said, for those children not fortunate enough to have parents willing to approach the subject, where else is going to if it isn't the schools?
  17. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Our children are really at risk. We don't get to see them for more than 50% of the day and when we do get some time with then we realized they've picked up some things along the way. We just have to be very watchful as parents, spending quality time with our kids. Teaching them the right ways
  18. pwarbi

That a all a parent can do, try and teach their children the best they can, hope their influence is greater than anybody else's is, and then leave them to make their own mistakes trusting they'll do what's right.

Parenting requires a lot of trust and I think that's where a lot of parents go wrong.
  19. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

2 things which are essential in maintaining the risk factors. The first one is the role the parents play. Every parent should be responsible enough to understand the risk factors present and raise their child accordingly. Another one is the responsibility of the school. They should supervise the children in their school properly as they spend most of their time in school.
  20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I believe that all the kids should have a personal therapist, or visit one regularly... We can't really fight against this causes because they are external to us and practically to everyone, but I do think that kids should talk to someone and a therapist it's the right person.