An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Robert Downey JR

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rex, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Rex

Rex Community Champion

I just thought some people on here would be interested in this. The famous actor was so badly addicted to alcohol and drugs that he found himself in prison. On the inside he completly turned himself around and now has sorted himself out, even takeing the step of becoming a republican!!!
    Are their any other celebs who have done likewise?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I can't think of any other celebrity off the top of my head who has had such a big publicized transformation, but I have to praise Robert Downey Jr for his efforts. It always makes me happy when anyone manages to do that, whether they are a high profile celebrity or not!
  3. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Micky Rourke i think kicked the bottle as well, im not sure about that one but i think so
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I've always loved Robert Downey Jr. He is living and breathing proof that you can beat your addictions. He is really just a stand up guy right now.
  5. Matthodge1

Russell Brand is one person who did a complete 180.
  6. Matthodge1

Completely forgot about Micky Rourke. What a guy.
  7. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Yes of course, Russell Brand was addicted to heroin and now hes totally clean and really zen. I think the guy probably butts in where hes not wanted sometimes but you have to respect that at least.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Oh yes, good point! He seems to be quite an advocate these days for a drug-free lifestyle, can't believe that I didn't think of him initially when I responded.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I heard about Robert Downey JR. and his drug problems and it was pretty inspiring to read his story. It really motivated me to see how he turned his life around.
    One good example here is Eminem. He used to take a lot of drugs and Vicoding pills, and one time he overdosed on 4 bags of heroin. He was nearly 2 hours close to dying, and now he turned his life around and writes songs to inspire people.
  10. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I'm happy he turned himself around. I loved him as an actor, and unlike the other favorites I've loved that offed themselves due to drugs - he turned himself around into a powerhouse star. Like Iron Man.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yeah, I already know about the addiction issues of Robert Downey Jr. before and it is really great to know that he was able to overcome his bad habits successfully. Another good celebrity inspiration would be Demi Lovato. She used to be addicted to cocaine but look at her now, she's back on track and is now shining brightly.
  12. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Yeah, I never even thought about Demi Lovato. She did struggle for ages. Another good example of a celeb who turned themselves around was definitely Mickey Rourke like mentioned above. Dude was a boss drug user, and you can even tell it from his appearance overall. But he kicked it, and he's back strong acting like he never missed a beat.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I only knew him because of his movies and do not know more about his personal life. Good thing he managed to get rid of his addiction and he can serve as an inspiration for those who might be also suffering from such addictions.
  14. Matthodge1

I understand why you didn't think of him because much of his career was in the midst of his addiction.
  15. Matthodge1

That was his personality before he was clean, too. He just says things that don't need to be said lol.
  16. Matthodge1

You can't forget Robin Williams. He was addicted to numerous substances in the eighties, but managed to clean himself up. I still miss him. It's like he's still here.
  17. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Yes Robin Williams. My favourate actor as a kid, how could i forget. What a shame, lovely man.
  18. Issac Asimov

Issac Asimov Member

He kicked heroin and alcohol, two of the most addictive substances on Earth. Best of all, he talks about it using comedy, making addiction seem more human to the masses.
  19. Matthodge1

Out of all of the countless celebrity deaths that have happened recently, this was definitely the one that hit me the hardest, hands down.
    Rex likes this.
  20. Matthodge1

A good comedian knows that their weaknesses are the best thing to talk about. Often times, comics use there comedy as therapy.