An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Robert Downey JR

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rex, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Robin William earned our love and we are going to miss him no ma
    tter how many years will be passing by, as he would be a good example that addiction could be left behind. He could get clean and sober, but his suicide can be misleading with the pass of the time for those who are going to try to argue in pro of doing alcohol and drugs.

Back on topic about Robert Downey Jr., his addiction story brought irremediably to mind the addiction story of Charlie Sheen, so sad for both of them.

Ah! And don't forget that the daughter of Withney Houston sadly followed her mother's steps.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@Matthodge1, I haven't heard of those theories before. I think Courtney Love has no motive to kill him. I will look into that when I have time.
  3. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

I'm proud of Robert Downey Jr., and I often look to his story when I'm in need of inspiration. He's a great person, and an even better actor. Did you know he's the highest paid actor of 2015? He's already raked in over $80 million this year! Props to him!
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

You would think that, but there are some relatively convincing conspiracies.
  5. Matthodge1

I'm not shocked. Iron Man, the Avengers, etc. are both some of the highest grossing movies of the decade.
  6. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

There's a lot of celebrities that have quit drugs or other addictions. They should be a big inspiration and motivation for the people that are struggling with them now. Willpower is a huge source of energy!
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@Matthodge1, So you think that there must be some truth to those conspiracies? Which theory do you think was responsible for his death?
  8. Matthodge1

I never said that there was truth haha. I was mostly just saying that there were a lot of intricate details to the stories.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, Robert Downey Junior is an inspiration for all of those who are recovering addicts. Not only did he get sober and remain drug free he has been an inspiration for all of those around him. He unlike that other famous Junkie we know...who can't keep his act together, and yes I am talking aobut Charlie Sheen...God help him because it doesn't seem like anyone else can.
  10. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Yeah there is always stupid stuff like that being said. Poor guy all the same
  11. shansauce

shansauce Member

I love RDJ - he really is such an inspiration. To think that years back, he WAS such a mess. We only every heard about him in tabloids, and in BAD news. And now, he's freaking Iron Man :) I had never really thought about reflecting on celebrity success stories before. But hey, if they can do it in the spotlight, I should be able to do it in the shadows right? Although, I guess part of the celebrity life is having the money and connections to get GOOD help, which isn't so easy for us commoners :(
  12. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

Robert Downey Jr. is a smart man, you can tell in his interviews. Much smarter than the average Hollywood actor\actress. I'm not surprised he would become a Republican after going through what he did. Becoming more politically conservative helped me (it really did!) with depression issues because it made me hold myself accountable, ultimately for where I was in life.
    I remember seeing all the news stories about him when he was suffering and being arrested, and I did not know who he was. Now that he is Iron Man it is pretty cool that he has an inspiring story, and a large platform to tell it.
  13. juno

juno Community Champion

Robert Downey Jr. has done an awesome turn around with his life and career. It took him a few tries, but I think three strikes and you're out gave him a big enough scare to fix things. He has an amazing career now that Hollywood is not afraid of whether he is going to make it through a shoot or not. I'm a big fan of his.

Another person that had a rocky start and did a lot of drug use during the teen years is Drew Barymore. She has an amazing life now and has finally found love and a family. She is quite mature and professional now.
  14. MyDigitalpoint

So true, Drew Barrymore is among the few stars that have made it recovering sobriety and an exemplar life.

As oppose to Macaulay Culkin and Zac Efron going downhill every now and then.
  15. Matthodge1

It's ridiculous. And I hate that he had to deal with what he had to deal with.
  16. Matthodge1

When was Zac Efron one to abuse substances? I haven't really heard much about that. Huh.
  17. MyDigitalpoint

I read this on gossip website lately, but obviously can't give too much credit to such websites. However I gave it for granted because I remember to have heard of his addiction shortly after "Hairspray" back in 2008, and again sometime a couple of years ago.

You know the saying, "where there's smoke, there's fire."
  18. Matthodge1

What was he addicted to?
  19. MyDigitalpoint

20. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

I love Russell Brand and although he is a bit off the wall he uses his drug addiction experience to try and help others now. I saw a programme where he really tried to help addicts. One of them just didn't want to be helped but another did really well on the road to recovery.

It must be very satisfying if you can help just one person kick the habit. One life saved.