An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Robitussin addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by ClaireO, Sep 4, 2015.

1. ClaireO

ClaireO Member

I used to be hooked on Robitussin. It's a disassociant, like PCP and Ketamine. I had seizures, and a few times I OD'd and hit my head on the floor or sidewalk. It was a really horrible addiction, made easier by the fact that the drug, dextromethorphone, is easily available at any pharmacy. I'd like to say I quit through perseverance, but actually, I changed antidepressants and it didn't have the same euphoria any more.

I have some events missing from my memory due to the chemicals and concussions. It's also an opioid so I got withdrawals when I stopped taking it. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone! And if you have kids in the house, lock up the cough syrup, because it can kill someone if they drink too much. I'm glad I was able to stop without too much trouble.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I didn't know Robitussin was like PCP. PCP is a very hard drug and can cause someone to have superhuman strength. I know that you shouldn't drink too much of this stuff, but the way you described it sounds horrible. This makes me want to look more in to natural cold remedies. Thanks for the warning.
  3. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I have took robitussin only for my colds. I never knew you could be addicted to it. I k ow the nondrowsy ones make you very sleepy so I guess it acts like a sedative.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My daughter took the night time stuff one time when she was in high school. She had a cold and that is all she had on her. She didn't think that it would do any harm. Well she completely blacked out. She didn't remember anything about the day. She had a test that day. When she got the test back the following day she had failed and all that was written on the paper was a bunch of random letters. The teacher thought she was on drugs and even called me. She never touched the stuff after that. She was really freaked out.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

We should always be aware that Robitussin is a kind of medicine use for cold treatment only as prescribed by a doctor and nothing else. We all knew that we can feel drowsy and high using this in an over dosage amount. That is why we should never use it for any purpose other than that.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Wow this is really alarming! I never knew Robitussin can do this. I never had luck with this medicine though. It always makes me vomit all the things I ate. Probably because it wants to get rid of the phlegm from the cough.