An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Rome Wasn't Built In One Night

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Recovering addicts, let not the enthusiasm to fix everything your addiction ruined be the cause of your relapse. An attempt to do so would not end well because failure to get results as fast you want in the end may stress you up. You don't want to deal with stress [especially just after you stop using drugs]. It's relatively easy at this time to give in to the temptation to use the drug "just one last time" to cope.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  2. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

If one wants to leave drugs he or she will need all the help possible. I mean, without support results are almost impossible. You will need strength and courage you have never thought you had in yourself. You will need friends around you and the most important you will need strong will and decisiveness. Rome was not built in one night and yes you will need a lot of time to cope with all the stress in the middle of struggle and if you picture the goal in the end you might be be able to come out from a fight as a winner. I really hope that everyone will win the fight against drugs and addiction. I have seen both sides and it is not a nice thing to see but when you see a full recovered person and you realize that life won, not too many things can compare with that.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Having that mentality is quite self defeating, recovering addicts should always take it one step at a time and they should not let themselves be discouraged by failure. I also think they should not set too much expectations as well so that they won't be disappointed if they did not meet those expectations.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with you. Recovering addicts should look at recovery as a lifelong process, and it shouldn't be rushed. Just like what you have said, they shouldn't feel pressured about it, rather, they should just take it one step at a time, slowly but surely. Just try to enjoy your sobriety, and make yourself even more productive.
  5. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I couldn't have said it any better. People rush into recovery very quickly, hoping to succeed over night. The great success comes within weeks to months to years. You can not be magically sober overnight, though I really wish it were possible.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Indeed. It's a slow process, and thinking that you can fix it with the snap of your fingers is unrealistic. It takes time and dedication and if you don't commit to that it can certainly be a persons undoing.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

At the start, nearly everybody will want to recover from their addiction in as shorter time as possible. The motivation will be high and that's not a bad thing though.

The trick is to keep that momentum going the further you get, but you'll often find that's when the urge to relapse begins.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

"Enthusiasm to fix everything." Hmmm I am going to have to think about this statement. Yes, I see what you are saying. Its little by little that you will eventually see results. This applies with other things too. Amazing the parallels that drug addiction has with other things. One thing at a time. Process of elimination. We strive to be perfect and that can trip you up. You are right.
    "Just one last time." Wow, the famous last words. Its so true. I guess you have to say no to yourself. I think it can be more like, "just one more time." This is the one that leads to another time.
  9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Great point. It takes time! It's not something that can totally change overnight. It's a growing and learning process and journey. There's a lot of discovering to be done as well.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  10. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Member

I recently travelled back to my hometown and I met some barber friend of mine who goes by the name “Onestone.” He got the nickname from the Jamaican Reggae band, Mighty Culture. As far as I recall, Onestone was a heavy drinker who would often times stagger and eve drop because he couldn’t hold himself anymore. I remember my mother [before she passed on] had one time noticed how a drunkard he was and even informed us of how he had been overly drunk some few hours back. However when I met him again in my hometown, he was a totally new fellow who had vowed to stopped drinking forever. He had been sober for a year now running and he was determined to do so. As curious as I was I asked him did it and in the most unlikely way, he mentioned God! God helped me get off the addition. It clicked in my mind that every addiction can be halted through a strong conviction and belief in the end of the addition. There is something very unique about faith science has virtually failed to uncover that I would like everyone to put to the test. I do understand that Rome wasn’t built in a day, but we can set the first brick in place today, and come back tomorrow and build on that same very brick as we move ahead! Before you can step into any anti-addition regimen, I would like you take time to go somewhere isolated, where nature sings through your ears and soul and cultivate faith in your heart. Begin to believe every single day that your addition will go and will go and will end. Faith awakens hidden energies and abilities inide you that you never thought possible, faith revitalizes your true raw self that has been clouded by addition, and faith begins to give you the spiritual luster that you lost when you succumbed. It doesn’t matter what higher power you believe in but what I can say is that when you are determined and fully convinced in your heart and is ready for the bumpy road out of addiction territory, you eventually will. This is the very first that we tend to miss. Let’s encourage addicts to take this first turn.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  11. It's like breaking a bad habit. You haven't failed because you slip up and do what you're trying not to do, you just have to keep trying not to do that thing. It's a process trying to change your life.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Very true. Growth and learning are not instant!
    Also don't forget the longer and harder it is to achieve something, the more valuable it will be!
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

W
    Well yes, alternative coping strategies are going to have to be found so geting the help you need is one of the many options you have when getting the sobriety you crave. It is possible using "one last time" can get you hooked all over again, and who needs that?
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Fixing everything that has gone wrong in your life takes patience and that is what a lot of people struggle with. We live in a society in which everyone wants instant gratification and do not have the patience to sit and wait for things to develop over time as they should. I know that waiting is frustrating, but things work out the way they are supposed to in the end.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I like that quote. :)
    So true that stress will not help in the recovery process. Better to be motivated and recognize every little developments or achievements.