An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Rubber Band On Wrist

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Jeff, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Jeff

Jeff Member

I saw this in some Jack Canfield video...
    I just wear a rubber band on my wrist, and whenever I have negative thoughts of any kind, I just stretch the rubber band and let it go, kind of hurting me a little bit.
    It's not like I've been transforming into a whole new person, but I've certainly been more aware of my negative thoughts.
    I definitely do recommend that you at least try it.

Hope it helps.
  2. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I've heard of this as well. Most people put a little knot into their rubber bands to have something to pull on and so that it doesn't sting that much. It's a good trick, but I've only even seen it being done by a woman who was very psychologically damaged because she was raped and kept prisoner for a month.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I first heard about this over 15 years ago when NBA player Kevin Garnet used it to remind him of the mistakes he made on the court during a basketball game. It has been used multiple times and I'm sure Mr. Garnett is not the first either.
  4. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I was recommended this rubber band method while I was hospitalized. The nurse stated he did it often (showed me) and said it was more sensible than cutting or scarring since it didn't leave behind marks/evidence. I understand the principle of the matter, but if the only difference is the scarring/marks, then is it not also a form of self mutilation? I mean you are still physically inflicting pain onto your body, and it does often leave whelps... I have a fear that this would start a whole new pain addiction to the right mindset.
  5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Sounds rather odd to me, but then again, I never understood the appeal of cutting yourself when you're depressed - I would pass out before I would be able to do something like that to myself since I'm rather squeamish to real life injuries.

In fact, once in art class when I was in high school I accidentally cut my wrist for real with an Xacto knife - I was joking about someone else in our class, and making wrist cutting gestures with my knife, and accidentally sliced myself for real. Thankfully it didn't go deep enough to cause any serious injury, but the cut still made me nauseous to even look at.

Initially when I saw the title of this thread I thought perhaps it meant wearing some sort of band when you are out socializing at bars and such, to indicate you don't want any alcohol - which kind of seemed like an interesting idea, maybe have a common "designated driver" bracelet that people could wear to alert others, or one indicating you are trying to remain sober.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Okay. But it's the same as cutting right? Not as painful as that probably, but you're still hurting yourself. Anyway, if it works for you, then that's great to hear. I don't think I'll ever try it though. I'm already done with physical pain, since I've been through that "cutting" phase before.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

These method "rubber band on wrist" or ":cutting yourself" and other ways some people are doing to forget their bad habits and mistakes in life are all the same and nothing to compared among them and they are all only temporary relief for those who are trying to recover from depression. The real truth about this is if you believe in yourself that you can make it and want to change for the better these things are not essential anymore. You can recover safely and protected and lead a normal life again.
  8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I think some of the main problems with cutting are scarring and possibly lethal infections. The elastic bypasses both of those unwanted possibilities.
  9. ABC123

ABC123 Member

If it works for you , then who am I to judge. However, have you tried other methods that are less hurtful. If not you may want to view the other threads and posts and simply try a different approach and see if you get the same needed end result or better. another method may be more pleasing then hurtful too.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've never tried using the rubber band to fight negative thoughts. I wonder though, wouldn't an attempt to suppress negative thoughts be counter-productive? Using mindfulness would be a better way to banish such thoughts from your mind permanently IMHO. But if rubber bands work for some people, then by all means use them. If you haven't tried them then give them a try, you never know if you'll find them helpful .
  11. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I did this for some time when but I never stuck with it so I never found out how effective it really was. Also I did it whenever I felt an urge to do some bad habits but never just for negative thoughts, which when I think about it now makes a whole lot more sense since urges usually stem from those types of thoughts one way or another.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am one of those people that plays with my jewelry frequently when I wear it, so I would probably sit there and snap the rubber band just because it was on my wrist. It would probably work if you are not a jewelry person or have nervous habits like I do.
  13. juno

juno Community Champion

It's the same concept as the Pavlov Theory. When you cause some sort of discomfort during a certain action you will mostly likely have an aversion to the action after a while. It think it is a good idea for some situations, but it really depends on the situation.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  14. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I've heard of it multiple times and it's a great technique I am sure. I just wouldn't trust myself to enforce it yo be completely honest