An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Running

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Carnold23, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I have recently started running in the morning as a way to cope with stress. I recommend it to anyone who needs a little help coping.
    All my life I have dealt with anxiety and stress because of my childhood and my addictions. I have always struggled with finding healthy ways to cope with that.
    Starting to jog in the evenings has been a savior for me. It clears my head, I listen to music and I just focus on me for awhile.
    I just wanted to let everyone know that it could be a good coping mechanism for you if you are struggling to cope with stress.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I love running too, and it's something that I took up after recovery. It helps me clear my head so much - and it's been wonderful watching my progress, watching my times get faster (I try and do fun runs relatively regularly) and so forth. It's a healthy outlet for me.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Any form of exercise, be it running, jogging, or brisk walking, can really help you in recovery. I do love running and dancing as well. They do not only keep me fit and healthy, but they also help me boost my self-confidence.
  4. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

I've been light jogging myself, looking to get a bit more serious with running. It is such a great exercise specifically for how many ways it benefits you. My grandfather always used to tell me that humans evolved on their feet running, not sitting between four walls, and that always inspires me. :)
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I know that when I first went through recovery I was recommended to exercise more, and running was the easiest and cheapest option. Having said that, while it did work for me I quickly changed to cycling as I found that a bit more exhilarating.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am not a runner. I don't think I could handle that but I am an avid walker and hiker. I find it a great stress reliever. There is nothing that makes me feel better then getting out and enjoying what nature has to offer. I love the outdoors.
  7. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

This is my 10th year since i made a decision to be an amateur runner. It started with milestones like my first kilometre and now i can run a marathon. It is a stress relief and i recommend it to all of you whether you have an addiction or not. Whenever i feel stressed out i just hit the road and usually it is city running for me because i live in a city. I recall that my neighbours were looking me very strangely whenever they saw me running in the street just next to their cars. Now in the neighbourhood everybody knows me and what i do so it is very relaxed in that area. Where ever i went i ran. All the countries i have visited i tried out and for me it is the biggest sedative out there.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Today I went out to jog in the morning and it felt fantastic. At first I was skeptical about this, but then I found out how much I actually enjoy doing it. It helps me focus better on the things I do afterwards, and it has a high meditative and therapeutic potential. I recommend it, it's one of my best experiences.
  9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Thanks for sharing what helps you handle your stress. This is great because it does two things. It gets you healthy and it takes your mind off of other things. Even going on walks, especially with music in your ears!
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I'm not a runner either but I do a lot of walking. Obviously, either running or walking can be good for the health and not just because of the exercise and the fresh air but because it also gets you outside with nature. I usually walk at quite a brisk pace and walk several miles every day. It's definitely started paying off. I also get most of my inspiration when I am out walking.
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm really considering to doing exercise to cope with stress but college just got me so exhausted that I don't really have the time or the energy to do some exercise. But my mom loves to run, she says that the sensation that she has after running it's really incredible and unexplainable, and I think that's amazing.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

Jogging can be a good way to start your day, mostly when you are stressed. If you can not do it alone then you can join your friends or family members. Stress has been an excuse for most drug addicts, and we need to know how to avoid it. You can go to the gym if you are experiencing harsh weathers.
  13. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I like to jog so that I can get those endorphins. I swear a runners high is just as good as getting high. It also helps me lose weight and makes me feel great.