An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Rx Abuse

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Faygo1224, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

Hi all! I am from Milwaukee,WI and have found the increase of prescription drug abuse (opiates, benzos etc) is most definitely on the rise. I am not sure how it is in other cities but here there are these "clinics' where people go and pay a set amount for something like a consultation and then have to put money up for the meds they provide. We call them Pain Clinics here.

Pain clinics are not very common here but there are one too many which continue to aid in the increasingly alarming rate of prescription drug abuse. I noticed one day after pumping gas across the street from one of these clinics , a man walking as if he were debilitated and could barely walk. Speed up to him getting to his vehicle...As soon as he was away from the surveillance camera views of the clinic, he began moving like the completely normal 20 something year old he appeared to be.

I tell this story often because there are really honest people out there, in pain, who cannot get the same medication from their doctors so they have no choice but to go to a pain clinic and pay hundreds of dollars to only look like an addict because the majority ARE addicts who frequent these clinics.

I am not trying to throw stones at anyone or anything because I am an addict myself BUT I still do have a heart and I find it disheartening that this continues to happen. These doctors would rather be greedy than stop RX abuse.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think people need to try to find relief with more natural methods than popping a pill. I mean it is frightening the amount of people that seem to be addicted to heroin. From what I understand, alot of people start off taking prescription drugs, and can't get them and then go on to Heroin, which is really frightening.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

It's a shame that the abuse of RX drugs has gotten us to a point where people who truly need certain medications to live their lives now have trouble getting them. As horrible as the abuse of RX drugs is, there are many, many people who have legitimate chronic pain issues and count on certain meds to get them through each day.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

It really is a cold world; where you cannot get what you want for being genuine and truthful and would possibly have to lie or fake it to get what you need.