An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Salt?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by SLTE, Oct 8, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

There are lots of threads on here about sugar addiction, whether on its own or as part of something else - candy, for example, or chocolate. But I don't think I've seen anything about salt. Have you ever experienced anything like an addiction to salt or salty foods?

I have. I'm on the fringes of it, anyway. There's a particular brand of buffalo chicken that I absolutely crave. It's horrible for your health and packed to overflowing with sodium, but it's wonderful enough that I start to salivate when it's so much as mentioned. I also get unusually happy when we have some in the house, and I find I'm irritable for a few days after finishing a package. I wouldn't call it a full on addiction, but if I bought the stuff too often...
    singingintherain likes this.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I hear that. I am the same way. I crave salt and I shouldn't eat it as I have high blood pressure. I mean salt is in so many of the foods we eat. I think the way to get less is to avoid process foods and snacks. Also, I think drinking more water will help flush out the system. Both too much salt and too much sugar are toxic to the system and can be as dangerous as other substances.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I'm probably more likely to crave salty things than sugar - so I guess this could be true for me! I don't add salt to any of my home cooking though so I think my intake is okay.

Sometimes I'm not sure whether it is salt that I'm tasting in something, or the inclusion of MSG in it. Others might be more informed on that subject?
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I find salt to be very addicting too. I recently had to cut back on it because of high blood pressure and I am having a difficult time with it. Nothing satisfies that salt craving besides salt. There is just no substitute and is even comes close. I am always craving salt crackers and potato chips. French fries and salt or and corn on the cob with lots of salt and butter. It is a terrible think. I have been doing pretty good but really struggling not to give in to the cravings. I even dream about those things when I go to bed at night.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have never craved any salty food, but this addiction does exist. From time to time, I cook something salty, like fried mackerel and I love it so much. No wonder that after finishing it I still want more. But I can cope with it, I usually find something to do and forget about it. I sometimes feel a strong desire to eat salty cheese though, but never anything else.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Junk food is also considered salty, right? I'm not addicted to it at all, but I buy it occasionally. This is the first time that I'm hearing about it. You gotta be careful in eating anything in excess, because it can definitely be harmful to your health.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Salty foods are also very addictive. There are a lot of people addicted to junk foods, fries, chips and the likes which are all salty foods. At times, I can be addicted to it too. But I realise that the more you eat it, the more you crave it. The more you buy eat, the more addicted you become. So buy more of the healthy stuff and eat more of it so that you will be healthier and happier.
  9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Having a salt addiction is just as bad as sugar. I have a certain grandpa that likes to add salt to his foods because he can't taste the salt already in the food. He does have diabetes so he must be careful. I have more of a sugar than salt tendecy though sweet and salty snacks like those chex mix snacks are tasty because you have both sweet and salty.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Salt is really addictive since it gives a lot of taste to different types of food, but a lot of fast food places use a lot of sodium in their products, which is more unhealthy than a regular meal there. People don't even realize it since the food tastes really good.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It's probably the chicken that your addicted to. I don't know what brand your talking about, but it could be that they put something addictive in it. Some snacks can be addictive because of the taste and texture. If you crave something enough you will buy it all the time. This craving could have more to do with the wings overall not just the salt.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Like sugar eating foods loaded with salt is bad for our health. The key here is to eat foods in moderation so that every thing is in balance for our body processes.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

With certain meals, I used to put fish sauce in it. It's this really salty sauce that is popular in our country. I can remember a week where I used to put it in my food everyday. Just like your grandpa, I can't taste the food then. I think it's just because of a certain addiction to the saltiness at that time. Good thing I stopped with that habit although I still crave that fish sauce from time to time.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I used to eat lots of salty junk foods when I was younger but still not to the point of being addicted to it. Right that it is not healthy and it can cause various health problems when consumed too much. I now avoid eating too much of those junk foods and salty foods.
  15. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Fortunately, I grew up in a household where my mom ensured that our salt-intake would be limited. She knew of the dangers of salt as relatives had suffered adverse effects to their health. I became accustomed to not eating salty and spicy food and I've definitely benefited from this. Salt and sugar should only be consumed in limited amounts.
  16. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Well, I am fortunate enough, because I don't really like salty foods. I am in love with sweets, but when it comes to salty stuff, I prefer to say no. Moreover, eating a lot of salty foods can actually increase your blood pressure, mainly because more salt in your systems stimulate more water retention. It's not healthy.
  17. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Heh, sugar isn't exactly the patron saint of food intake either, but you're quite right.

I don't know which is worse for your body, salt or sugar. I'd be willing to bet that sugar is more immediately addictive than salt, but that probably depends on the person. Anybody got any stats on that?
  18. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Sugar is way worse than salt, that's for sure. The bigger the blood sugars, the more insulin will your pancreas secrete. Once the glycogen reserves are saturated, if the blood sugars are still high, the body will create glycerol and use the sugars to create free fatty acids, which in turn will be transformed into triglycerides (by binding them with the glycerol groups). This obviously is a sure path to obesity, but also to heart diseases and diabetes.
  19. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that I have been addicted to salty chips, which were nice when I was younger and was cheaper to buy in the store, so was easy to buy and saved money most of the time and the salt can be nice. It can cause the body to gain weight and also a person can be addicted and think it is alright to eat the salty chips, which can make the taste buds to start desiring it as the chips can look good and feel nice as well. I think it is something we need to be aware of and also the salty snacks can make people get used to it as the mind can't get it out of the mind.
  20. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

My mother is the same way. She puts salt on everything, even prior to tasting it. I am more of a sugar junky, but I have my moments with sodium. Both are terrible for you and are hard habits to shake. I wonder if you could find an alternative when it comes to that chicken you enjoy.