An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Salt?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by SLTE, Oct 8, 2015.

1. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

I love salty foods: chips, pretzels, French fries with a lot of salt on them. But I try not to eat them that much, a lot of salt is definitely not good for the body. Plus, salt retains water and I hate that.
  2. thekennie

thekennie Member

Honestly, I'm surprised that I haven't been to the hospital for high blood pressure or anything like that. I'm a huge soda drinker and I literally use to pour salt on every meal I had. It started with pork chops, I don't know why I remember doing it for the first time, it sounds odd but I remember loving the taste of it. About two years ago I started pouring the salt into my hand and dipping my finger into it like a fun-dip. I find it to be an addiction, one that I slightly addicted to.
    Jordan94 likes this.
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Wow, I never felt the need to dip my finger into salt like fun dip. I can't imagine enjoying it unless it was garlic salt or something along those lines. I'm more of a sugar addict myself.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Salts another bad one. I heard someone call it a drug like caffeine. I tend to think this is true. Bloats you out and makes you retain water. Moderation or none at all I think is better.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It doesn't matter that much whether you add table salt, I mean processed food has so much salt in it, that eating that give syou plenty of salt for the day. The only way to get less salt is to eat fresh foods or cook everything from scratch so you are not getting the salt. Even bread has salt it is really hard to get away from.
  6. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

I and my sister, we put salt in every single thing. Even when we make French fries and put salt on them while they are in the big bowl, when we put them in our plates, we add salt almost like a habit.
    They say salt is very bad for your kidneys, makes you drink a lot of water that your body does not really need. I think we both lead a very unhealthy life when it comes to adding salt again and again to our food, and I have to change that..just it is hard to get rid of a habit..
    djolem likes this.
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

It is a known fact that once you start munching on salty food, it is hard to stop. Salt has that addictive quality. I'm not sure if it can be considered an addiction problem, because it is usually a momentary need to munch. However, if you can't reduce your salt intake and constantly crave it even if you have high blood pressure and your doctor tells you to stop. Then you have a problem because you are wiling to risk your life to eat salty food.
  8. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

People usually stop doing these habits when it is too late. Once you get some symptoms caused by some disease, you go to your doctor, and he or she tells you the sad/bad news about your health, you wish you could turn back the time, and lead a healthier life. My parents eat very healthy and dad exercises on a daily basis, and I should know better than adding a lot of salt in my food. Therefore, I decided after i have read everything you have written here, that my health is the most important thing in the entire world, and if I don't look out for myself, who else will...?