An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Saving Lives: our project

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by AJ13, Feb 1, 2020.

1. AJ13

AJ13 Member

Hello everyone,

Me and my university team are trying to create a wearable device that detects if someone is about to overdose and alerts the paramedics. We are having trouble finding out what symptoms your body produces before you have one. Are there any sources or any ideas you could provide for us? Help us save lives!

Best,
    AJ
    True concern and cheffy like this.
  2. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

I'd say sweating, shivering and or shaking, elevated blood pressure, heart rate increase and unconsciousness. Mind wise confusion, aversion, agitation
    cheffy likes this.
  3. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

Sounds like a pretty cool project. I would think part of it may depend on what they're OD'ing on like opiods or benzos, or even alcohol (alcohol OD involves alcohol poisoning I think, which leads to death). You may need the device to be programmable in terms of what drug is causing the OD. Some drugs cause the CNS to fail (alcohol/opiods) which leads to death, some make you hyper (cocaine? meth), and some make you just plain weird (LSD). It would be nice to be able to check and track the blood levels to determine the drug in use, and maybe you can do that without being invasive like using gas chromatography or something like that.
    True concern likes this.
  4. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

i suggest google and if you want more specific info try wikipedia. everything your looking for is probably there.
    cheffy likes this.
  5. True concern

True concern Moderator

I have to think about this one as I think it would require something like a computer brain to achieve the correct results,however I hope you can figure out a different way.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Joshstillclean and cheffy like this.
  6. True concern

True concern Moderator

@AJ13 I say @cheffy is one of the smartest people I know and his suggestions along with everyone else's is probably a good place to start
    cheffy likes this.
  7. True concern

True concern Moderator

I want to put a double like but I cannot
    Joshstillclean and cheffy like this.
  8. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

Thank you! :rolleyes:
    True concern and Joshstillclean like this.