An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Say no to alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Lexi, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Lexi

Lexi Member

Alcohol was a major problem for me in high school. I missed a lot of classes in grade 10 until I realized that I needed to stop hanging around with certain people.

When you are supplied vodka for free, it can be difficult to refuse.

My (former) best friend is an alcoholic. I don't even talk to him anymore. I knew I needed to stay away from him and a few other friends of ours.

I succeeded in freeing myself from my addiction and it was not easy but, it was worth it. Health is everything in life and I do my best to live a high quality lifestyle. I do not regret what I did in my past, I'm glad that it happened when I was younger and is no longer relevant to me.

Thought I would share my story to possibly inspire someone else. Anyone can take control of their life the moment they make that decision.
  2. SuphaflyUK

SuphaflyUK Member

Thanks for your post Lexi :)

It is a difficult but necessary part or recovery to let go of things & people that are bad for you. Detaching with love is the only option really. I think for some if not a lot of people, they had "drinking buddies" but not real friends.

When you get sober it is necessary to cut loose of that crowd, even if they criticise you or get upset with your new lifestyle.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A friend who is not a good influence is definitely someone who shouldn't be in your life at all. It takes most people a long time to realize that they have the wrong friends and even a longer time to end those toxic friendships. It takes courage and firm determination to cut them out of your life and move on regardless of what they think of you. Kudos for having the courage to do that and staying sober since then.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There are some people in our lives that we really need to avoid since they are just bad influences.
    Good for you that you are able to avoid them and able to get rid of the alcohol addiction. Your story is truly an inspiration.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Thank you for sharing, most of us get addicted because of the people we hang out with and we didn't even realize it. It's ok to drink once in a while, even more, at a party you can't say no to the drinks, just know your limits. I used to drink a lot myself in my early ages (12-16). Even now I drink from time to time, but I'm not making it a habit anymore as I realized how detrimental was that for me.
  6. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Err, no. I will never say "no to ethanol or alcohol," because if I cut myself quite badly, I need it to clean my wound. Or maybe I need to light a campfire, and I have only one match left but a bottle of ethanol, I will not think no to using it as a fire accelerant to help me light a fire and warm myself. However, I can agree on saying no to alcohol or ethanol "drinking!"
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't drink that often, maybe twice a week, but I feel like I should eliminate it all together. It's not worth it. I feel like crap the next day, sometimes two days. I feel empty inside after wards. If anything it's doing more harm then good.
  8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Actually I never had problems because of drinking alcohol, but I took some tests after smoking just to see how I could perform. Before we know it we lose track though.
  9. Lexi

Lexi Member

@JoshPosh The best way to quit is to find an even greater desire. At least, for myself that made it easy when I completely changed my mindset and shifted my focus. I turned into a bit of crazy person in the way that I think. I believe that sometimes we need to brainwash ourselves with positive thoughts in order to make big changes.

The people that you choose to allow into your life will have an impact in it. I am fully willing to keep negative people away from me - including certain family members that are filled with negative energy. If you are not bettering me in some way (even by just making me smile) then I won't allow the person into my life. I would break contact with my own mother if she was negative in my life. She's not, she is a great mom but, my point is that I won't allow people and/or opinions to have any meaning in my life unless the meaning is positive.

I realized that "following" takes you know where because, most people are headed no where. I now live by a "yes I will attitude", as in yes I will accomplish all that I desire and no one will stop me. Following your desires is important in life, as long as those desires do not effect others in a negative way.
  10. Gelsemium

Yeah, you summed it all up in the first line, to quit something we need to find a greater desire. I feel that we will be addicts all our life, we can just replace alcohol or drugs for something healthier like a sport.
  11. Lexi

Lexi Member

Success is a great motivator and deep down, everyone wants to be successful.

No one truly desires being addicted to something that offers no benefit to them. Addictions waste lives away. If you have an addiction, you need put all of your focus into beating it, or else you will have to live with the consequences of having your life waste away.
  12. Gelsemium

I agree, but we need to be wise when fighting our addictions and one thing that works is to replace an habit by another habit, just a healthy one and we can focus all our energy into that.
    Lexi likes this.
  13. Lexi

Lexi Member

Yep, that is the best thing you can do. Replace negatives with positives. Small changes can go a long way. If you constantly are focused on improving yourself, then you will keep progressing into stronger versions of yourself and the results will show.

I think it's important to focus on improving your situation, even if your situation is great. For myself, I am always thinking about my future family. I want my family to be in the best situation possible so, I put in a lot of effort into that "goal" of mine.
    Gelsemium likes this.
  14. Gelsemium

That is a fact. I recall when I quit smoking I just faced it one day at a time and I build on that. Sure, it's not the same, but it's a similar mechanic, we need to build on a good day at a time.
  15. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

I can relate with this. I am struggling but I will ge tbetter. Thanks for sharing!
  16. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

That is what I am doing now! I will beat this!
  17. Gelsemium

Good luck kfontroy, it's not easy to fight an addiction, put if we put that as a life goal and we organize ourselves around it we will achieve it!
  18. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I couldn't agree with you more Lexi. Once you take that decision to stop the abuse of any substance, it does not take control of you anymore. It may be a hard journey for some, but the fact of awareness that it should be stopped, makes a big difference.

Your story will truly be an encouragement to others. Those who are still struggling with addiction will know that yours is possible to happen. It will give them hope that only they can make the addiction stop if they will it. Some need more help or push than the others, more reasons to quit. But I guess as long as there is progress, no matter how small, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.
  19. Gelsemium

I think that it's no so easy notodrugs, we can make that decision, but in the next day we can decide to go back, so there's where the true fight is.
  20. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Member

When I was younger, I knew this elderly man that use to be a family friend. You could easily tell he was an alcoholic because every time he'd come around, he could never walk straight and his speech was often slurred. It was so hard to watch the guy do that to himself. Only God knows where he even is today.

I believe that sometimes it goes beyond being an alcoholic to the point where the alcoholism has taken sole possession of the individual. You guys are right in the fact that it's a very hard fight and an uphill battle to overcome once addicted, but you have to know what you want out of life, know you want better and beat it.