An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Say no to alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Lexi, Nov 10, 2014.

1. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, it is true that it is not easy to just stop it. Hence, I said it may be a hard journey for some. Please see what I especially said in my last paragraph.

I know how it is because of my uncle who did not even quit but just lessened his alcohol intake. And he did that when he was already in his 60's. He started drinking while still in school. They lived in a town where people's pastime is drinking even early in the morning. So it was really difficult to kick the habit. It got worse when he got married and started having kids. He was often drunk. But the good thing was he was able to keep himself sober at work until he retired. We just looked at that as a good thing then. He was on and off with it until he finally decided to lessen the intake.
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story and I'm happy to hear you were able to fight through your obstacles. I know it's tough to kick that kind of habit especially since it would be hard to replace once you remove it and are left with a void but sometimes it's just necessary as some people just are less able to control it then others.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Some people somehow manage to control it partially, I guess that working or other activities prevent us from consuming all the time, but after that period is like there are no barriers.
  4. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, you're right. He was often drunk on weekends. We just thought that at least he knew when to be drunk. Lol! Seriously, He started to lessen his intake when his grandkids started coming one after the other. Then, he got himself a small business that he likes attending to. He also has diverted his attention to an exercise routine. I guess, he must have been feeling some ill effects of his years of drinking. He used to stop whenever a relative or a friend died of an illness caused by heavy drinking but would go back after a short while.

Anyway, we're just happy now that he found some worthwhile activities to keep himself busy. The stress of earning for his family must have contributed to his drinking sprees.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Am glad that you made that decision and acted on it.For most of us, things are more easier said than done. The greatest impediment to our struggles with addiction i believe lies within ourselves and the moment we acknowledge that,than we will surely be in a greater position to emancipate ourselves from our woes and all the negativity that comes with our dependance on drugs.
  6. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

Alcohol is something terrible, once we realize our life has changed so yeah, glad you had the strength to fight it and to get rid of it.
  7. Gelsemium

I don't see it very differently from drugs addiction really, well, maybe it takes longer to act on us and to get addicted, but once we get addicted it's hard to turn back.
  8. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

Well, I think that you are strong just for reacting so fast and doing what you did with your friendships. Something that my parents told me years ago and I will never forget is that "a person who isn't a good influence for you, is someone who shouldn't be in your life". Failures are okay, because without them, life wouldn't be life. But there are people that call themselves "friends", even though they act like the opposite.
    Gelsemium likes this.
  9. Gelsemium

Well said from your parents MrCuriosity, we don't need bad influences in our lives, many times just our own company is enough, so we should get rid of them.
    ImMrCuriosity likes this.
  10. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

What starts as something innocent on a night out can transform into an addiction, that is why we should be very careful with our habits.
  11. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I admire your mindset, and I can state that this is the right one about anything. Even if they are family, if they have a negative energy you keep them away. You don't need all that in your life, if someone's not on your frequency, you dispose them.
  12. Gelsemium

I've seen some cases when people are in recovery and they simple and held back due to negative energies and ways of thinking, no one needs that.