An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Say something positive about yourself!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Jan 20, 2016.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think so often we can give other people compliments but we forget about ourselves and what we are good at.

I would love for everyone to post something that they do well. Everyone has some sort of talent or skill - I believe that completely.

For me, I would say that I am a good listener and a good cook. I love to try new recipes and make yummy things!
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Wow, what a nice thread! I cook too but I'm not too keen on trying out new recipes like you!:) For me, I guess I'm good at:

1. Being a mother. Well, I'm pretty sure I'm quite a good mother because my son loves me so much. Ahaha.;p
    2. Writing. I write freelance for some sites.
    3. Singing. I guess my son loves my singing, because he dozes off or keeps calm when I do so.;p
    Rainman and deanokat like this.
  3. EmmaAaren

EmmaAaren Member

I love this thread! What a wonderful way to start the day! I personally have my full length mirror covered in things I like about myself so that I am reminded every time I see my reflection that I am a decent human being. One of the things I remind myself is that I love to read. I am a good reader and it transports me to a place I have never gotten to visit before!
    deanokat likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I have a big heart. And I'm a good cook. :)
  5. deanokat

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

It has been a good idea starting this thread because I had to stop for a moment, staring at the sky to find out what positive things about me I could say, what means we are usually ignoring or under-appreciating our own virtues, whether we focus or not on the negative side of our self.

I can say to be good listener, nice smiling person, excellent "heavy-duty" walker, and best creative person when it comes to cook out of scarce ingredients to complete a whole meal :)
    deanokat likes this.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have a big heart and I am a good listener.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. endoftherainbow

endoftherainbow Active Contributor

I enjoy helping people, and I hope that the advice that I give can be useful and help others or save their life someday. If it only helps or saves one person, then that is more than good enough. :)
    deanokat likes this.
  9. kassie1234

I think maybe a lot of us are good listeners because of what we've been through, perhaps? I know that recovery really made me more compassionate and I think that translates to being a good listener. And no doubt for those supporting loved ones on their recovery journey, you have to be a great listener too!

I'm really enjoying reading these posts about what people's positive traits/strengths/skills are!
    deanokat likes this.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The only thing I'm good at I suppose is re-telling stories. Not telling them. I know what a good story is and when I hear a good story or even a bad one, I can make it more interesting than the original. I haven't doing any of that lately, that would explain why I've been feeling blue for a while.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, I believe I am a good listener and a very patient person. I also know how to cook, but mostly pasta recipes only. :)
    deanokat likes this.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that I'm fun to be with and I have a good sense of humor. People notice me and usually wants to be friends with me.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. deanokat

Love hearing all the positivity here. Keep it coming, people! :)
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I have a great sense of humor, and am funny ,bright in my way...and an animal lover. This was an awesome thread Kassie thanks for posting it.
    deanokat likes this.
  15. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I absolutely love this thread! It really makes me happy to see all these comments. I try my best to be a good mom, and a good wife!
    kassie1234 and deanokat like this.
  16. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I am a good son, a good brother, a good husband.
    deanokat likes this.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Being proud of yourself can be healthy since it can make yourself feel better. So saying positive about yourself is like conditioning your mind of how to think about good things. Being positive is good than always seeing the negative in everything.
    deanokat likes this.
  18. dalzieleone

dalzieleone Member

I love this.
    I am caring and loving. I am the one that people run to when they need a shoulder to lean because they know I will be there for them. I am good at loving people and bringing out the best in them.
    kassie1234 and deanokat like this.
  19. kassie1234

I thought what you said about loving people and bringing out the best in them was great! It's so helpful when you have people like that in your life!
    deanokat likes this.
  20. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This is an interesting thread...

All I can say is that I am the kind of person who is very loving and caring to my family...When it comes to my family I will do everything and fight for my family because they are my life and inspiration in this world...

I do not underestimate small people who had big dreams in life because someday you will never know that they will be the one to help you.

I had also a passion for cooking that is why I will never stop cooking foods that will give pleasure to my family.

I am a loyal and a true friend.
    deanokat likes this.