An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Saying Goodbye to Drug Friends

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Ojhaca80, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Ojhaca80

Ojhaca80 Member

Hi,

I am 3 weeks clean from a cocaine habit. Not really a crazy one, maybe 1-3 grams a week, but I need to stop blowing all my money on the garbage.

I've been dodging the friend that I normally do it for a couple weeks now, but I need to tell her I can't hang out and I don't know how to do it without hurting her feelings.

She's going to take it personal, make me feel like a jerk, badmouth me, call me a bad friend.

How do you deal with this. I have a bit of a guilt complex
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  2. Lostboy8731

Lostboy8731 Community Champion

Hey there @Ojhaca80
    Welcome to the group and congrats on your recovery so far. I was reading your post and that's definitely a touchy subject especially when you already think there could be issues. As you may have seen there is loads of great info here on many topics including how to discuss and approach subjects such as your own. One link for example that i found informative is

Addict vs. Loved Ones: 6 Effective Ways to Communicate ... - DrugAbuse.com
    https://drugabuse.com/talk-communicate-addiction/

When it comes down to it honestly your sobriety is and should be your main focus. Now that being said if you try and talk to your friend and are honest with her and they still lash out negatively towards you and blame you as you fear they're going to then my personal advice is that for the protection of your mental health and stability as you go through recovery would be to politely explain that this is your choice and if they dont want to be a positive part of your recovery then you should remove yourself from them during this time. I know its easier said then done but in the end nobody is going to work as hard nor fight for your sobriety more then yourself so with that in mind you need to be surrounded with positive healthy ppl that love and support you fully.

Hope this helps friend and remember your never alone. This site is full ove loving supportive members that want you to succeed and are here for you.
    Best of luck and keep in touch as to your progress. Prayers and blessing friend
  3. Ojhaca80

Ojhaca80 Member

Thank you very much.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  4. Lostboy8731

Lostboy8731 Community Champion

Your very welcome. That's what this group is all about.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Ojhaca80... Welcome to the community and congratulations on your 3 weeks of sobriety. What a fabulous accomplishment! I am super proud of you!!

I think @Lostboy8731 has given you some great advice. And we are here to help and support you any way we can. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need someone to lean on or vent to, okay?

Keep doing what you're doing. Sober is better!
    True concern and Lostboy8731 like this.