An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Scared mom.

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by bobbyswife4, Nov 23, 2017.

1. bobbyswife4

bobbyswife4 Member

So my daughter has struggled w addiction for about 10 years. Until last week her DOC was heroin and/or benzos.
    Last week she used Meth. She tells me it was only once but she clearly has all the symptoms still. Extremely irritable. Delusions. Irrational. Heightened anxiety. She is in DDU right now but she wants to leave and not go to further treatment. Just go to a sober house.
    It is clear she is no where near being ready for anything
    I’m scared. What I’ve read seems to indicate that a week after use these side effects should be subsiding. Can anyone share with me their experience with how long a one time/short term use side effects last? How can I help her or what is the best things to say...or not say?
    This is SO scary. Any advice appreciated!
    DarrenFrost1 likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@bobbyswife4... There's a great book out there that I think would really help you right now. It's called Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change. If you could download the ebook version and read it ASAP, I think you would feel a lot better about things. It's written specifically for parents/partners of people struggling with addiction. It will teach you a lot of things, including how to best communicate with your daughter...and how to talk to her to help motivate her to want to change. If you download the book from Amazon.com, you can read it on your phone or computer with their free Kindle app.

I will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers. As the father of a son who has struggled with addiction for about 13 years, I know how you're feeling right now.
  3. bobbyswife4

bobbyswife4 Member

Thank you so much. I thought I had pretty much gotten the opiate path under my belt. This meth is a whole different animal. Ugh
    I will get that book ASAP and I really appreciate your response!
    Prayers for you and your son too!!
    DarrenFrost1 likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

You are very welcome, @bobbyswife4. And remember to take care of yourself while dealing with your son's issues. You need to be at your best, both physically and emotionally. (That book will help you understand that, too!)

Sending you lots of hugs full of hope.
    DarrenFrost1 likes this.
  5. DarrenFrost1

DarrenFrost1 Member

Hello, Good day @deanokat and @bobbyswife4 I read your topics and I feel bad because the same problem that I encounter to my neigboor that addicted to heroin. I hope my neighboor's issue will be solved soon. Once again thank you for the great topic that you spoke out. I really appreciated!
    deanokat likes this.