An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Scary Public Transit Ride

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Miaka_M, May 30, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

Just last night I was coming from work pretty late on the public transit here in Toronto. There was a homeless person on the platform with alcohol. He was completely drunk and you can tell by the way he walked and smelled, it was horrible. He came closer and closer to me on the platform and was blowing "kissy faces" at me. He was calling me "baby" and "hun". I was really scared and walked to the other end of the platform running scenarios in my head. I always assume the worse, but just then the train came and saved me! I sat beside some guy that I felt a little safer to stand by. The homeless person came close by, saw the male, spat and then came off at the next stop! Heart attack gone! I was so scared!

What could I have done if I were completely alone with him?
    Corzhens likes this.
  2. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I think everyone gets that feeling at some point in their lives were they feel uneasy around someone. It's good to carry something with you for protection especially traveling alone at night, even if it's mace or a pocket knife so you have something just in case, that way if something like this ever happens again you will be a little more prepared than before. Also if there are any people around, scream and get their attention and it's good that you went to the other end of the platform.
  3. JossZen

JossZen Member

It's pretty common to feel this way about a stranger, regardless of sobriety. Personally, I notice I throw up an immediate stranger wall to begin filtering each person. This stems from the views the general society has created. Generally I think most of the global community is a safe place to commute. I firmly believe there are more good people than bad people. However, those bad people make headlines and instill this deep fear, especially when more than just a stranger is involved in the scenario.. i.e. a substance.

I am glad you are safe. With that said, I think the best thing you could have done if you were alone with him was just hold your ground. More often than not, people are bluffing, however we want to assume they are not. If you were alone, don't cater. Don't show weakness and don't show fear. Prepare to scream and have hands on any weapon you have available whether it be your keys or if you're prepared enough pepper spray or a taser. Prepare to make a scene. Noise draws attention, and attention is your best bet of calling upon safety.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is really scary to have such experience. Specially that you know that he is really following you or targeting you. Good thing you are not totally alone and nothing bad happens. Better to be ready and know what to do in situations like that and not to be too scared that you will not do anything to save yourself.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Jesus christ! That sounds awful! You did the right thing, you shouls really consider getting pepper spray just in case, since you seem to use that kind of transport often. You can buy one in the shape of a key ring... because you can't always be so lucky to have someone around to save the day. Do yourself a favor and get one.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Yikes! That does sound scary and unsettling, and I'm glad you're safe now. And I agree with what others have said, it’s a good idea to carry something with you, either pepper spray or something that can function as a makeshift weapon. Keys will suffice if you can’t get a hold of anything else.
  7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

That happened to me here in Metro Manila. I took the bus and at the bus stop as I alighted, there was this man who looked drunk. He was extending his palm so as not to agitate him, I gave him some coins. What happened next was unexpected. He smiled at me and pulled out a 100-peso bill. He was giving it to me as gratitude for my generosity.

Well, what would you do? To make the story short, I took the money and ran.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In most major cities these days I think that scenario is pretty common unfortunately. More and more people are found on the street and a lot have some form of addiction. Sadly, while there's help out there for people like that, not all of then will accept it.
  9. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

Wow! That is definitely unexpected! I wonder if he was actually a very rich man and he was doing this to see how generous people are? I've seen things like this happen on tv with shows like "what would you do" and "undercover boss" but to actually hear that it happened in reality is pretty cool. This man didn't seem to want money actually, he maded my senses scream in fear.
    Corzhens likes this.
  10. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Well, I learned never to make my opponent feel he has the upper hand. That means for me that I pretend I'm not weak or scared. I also learned that in these situations, don't stop, keep moving and take out your phone and get in touch/pretend to get in touch with some one who you can tell your whereabouts.
  11. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

That is a very scary experience. You should report the incident to the authorities so that it wouldn't happen again.
  12. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

Yes, I also saw those undercover gimmick to elicit natural reaction of ordinary people. Even Reader's Digest had a program like that where they leave wallets with money and wait for the finder to react. But anyway, that incident was really unexpected.

I would guess that the man has a mental problem that I am now fearful of seeing men in shabby clothes by the foot of the overpass bridge. I posted this story to warn other women in dealing with strangers.