An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

SD Law Enforcement Carry Naloxone

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by AFKATafcar, Jan 19, 2015.

1. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

A few months ago, San Diego police officers became the first law enforcement agencies to carry Naloxone for emergency administration. It helps bring Heroin/opiate users that have overdosed back closer to the side of living on the "overdose scale". Individuals experiencing an overdose can be given enough time to receive medical treatment at an actual hospital after the nasal spray is used on them.

Shouldn't more law enforcement agencies carry Naloxone (generic of Narcan) on their person to help overdose victims?
  2. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I believe all law enforcement agencies should be equipped with any and all methods to assist and aid those in need. In a way its their responsibility to be that last line of defense for people suffering from addiction on those levels. Better to have the option and use it with discretion than be left with no alternative than watch someone that could've been saved die in front of their family and loved ones. We have to remember that severe opiod and Heroin addiction effects a great deal of youths in the US. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse in 2011, 4.2 million Americans aged 12 or older (or 1.6 percent) had used heroin at least once in their lives. It is estimated that about 23 percent of individuals who use heroin become dependent on it. So it begs the question; wouldn't we want to be able to save a child's life if they were in an OD situation and hopefully turn their life around if possible.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

If the state releases a ruling or statute that local police forces should carry Naloxone with them, then all police stations will carry out this mandate. If the state has not yet released such a law, then stations will still have enough leeway to not adopt this practice. They may not have the budget for it. However, should this practice be mandated by law, then the state could sponsor the distribution of Naloxone to various stations.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is interesting to be allowed to carry this and can help the ones who are addicted and also may help them get away from the drug they are taking. It will be guarded well, as it could be easy to even get addicted to this drug if a person is not careful and also will be watched as to how much is used as well. If a life can be saved than it is a good choice and also, many could benefit from this as well and hope it works out well.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's certainly a great idea but I suspect that a lot of decisions about whether to carry this will be based on the amount of funding available to police departments. It may be that they prioritise different things. I'm sure that there would be uproar from certain sections of society, claiming that we shouldn't be spending money on keeping "dirty druggies" alive but ALL lives are valid.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think it's definitely a good idea - as @missbishi above said, all lives are important and should be valued. I guess the first thing I thought though when I read about it was how large the problem with overdoses must be in this particular area for law enforcement officers to carry this as a normal part of their protocol. I think if someone did get to that overdose point and then were able to be brought back with Naloxone, it may have pushed the addict to that point where they realize JUST how close they came to passing away. It could be the kick in the pants a person needs to decide once and for all to come clean.
  7. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

I have always thought that it should be done everywhere. There are certain needle exchanges that will give out Naloxone to the addicts so they have it just in case someone they are with ODs. Yes, this is illegal for the needle exchanges to do, but it is saving lives.

I am a heroin addict and I can't tell you how many friends that I have had, that have ODed. I myself have, and the guy I was with, when it happened, was scared to call 911 because he thought we would get in trouble. While I was unconscious and blue, he just shot me up with ice (meth) to speed up my heart rate... If Naloxone was readily available, then these type of situations would decrease.