An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Second-hand Smoke from Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Mara, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hi there!

I've always heard about the bad effects of second-hand smoke from cigarettes, but I haven't heard anything about Marijuana. You see, I have a lot of musician friends who love to smoke weed and since I am always with them, I tend to inhale some of the smoke coming from them. But the thing is, I don't really feel weird or anything. I mean, I don't get high from inhaling their second-hand smoke. My question is, is it bad that I inhale some of the smoke from Marijuana even if I am not directly smoking it? Will I get addicted to it as well?
  2. melody

melody Active Contributor

I don't think that you can get addicted from second hand marijuana smoke, or at least I have never heard of that happening. However, research done on rats shows a reduction in vascular function. No one knows how that translates to humans. Because of the war on drugs, there has not been a lot of money funneled in to researching the effects of second hand smoke. We should start to see that change, and get some results from the studies they are doing now.
    Mara likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Only 18% of the smoke you'll inhale will actually be second hand smoke. The rest of the 80% [which you inhale] comes from the front ed of the joint being smoked. So technically in a room full of people smoking marijuana you'll be inhaling as much marijuana smoke as everyone else.

That said, marijuana smoke contains toxins which aren't that great for your health. So exposure to second hand marijuana smoke for a long time, will be harmful to your health.
    Mara likes this.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

As much as possible, I try to get out of the room when they smoke, or I try to stay away from them as far as possible. But sometimes, they even smoke inside the car. I'm actually more afraid of the smoke fogging up the car, than inhaling it.

Anyway, thanks for your insights. They're very helpful.
    Rainman likes this.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well being exposed to smoke in general isn't good. MJ has a number of health benefits of the weed itself, not so much from inhaling it. I think just clearing the room when it is being used would be a good thing to do. It can be helpful for you to do. I think it is just a smart idea.
    Mara likes this.
  6. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I don't think they have done enough study on this to really show if there are many risks. However I also think the risks to you are minimal. I would be more worried about being in a car if the driver is smoking! Definitely some risks there!
    Mara likes this.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it is also like the second hand smoke from tobacco cigarettes, which is it is dangerous to anyone's health. Maybe not immediately affecting you but it will surely will in the long run and in the large amount. Better to keep away or be protected from any second hand smoke.
    Mara likes this.
  8. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Marijuana has a very fine smoke unlike that of cigarettes. It also has a strong smell of burning weeds. The active psychoactive principle in marijuana is called tetrahydracannabinol which is an alkaloid. Unlike cigarettes with 400 known chemicals, the smoke in marijuana contains many hundreds of compounds which have yet to be identified.
    Mara likes this.
  9. LindaBreen

LindaBreen Member

I agree with your comment...
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The big difference is that tobacco has been smoked openly in the recent past while marijuana hasn't. It's difficult to make a accurate study of second hand smoke from marijuana when the majority of the people that smoke it don't speak openly about it.
    Mara likes this.
  11. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have actually gotten a contact high being in a small room while it was being past around. I mean to tell you that was strange. I don't smoke the stuff, but know many that do. I don't have a problem with it I just don't like how it makes me feel so I stay away from it.
    Mara likes this.
  12. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

People that smoke marijuana on a regular bases build up a resistance to it. The fact that you don't smoke just means that if you inhale the secondhand smoke is enough to get you high. Glad to hear that you don't intend on trying it.
  13. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I do not think that you are going to get addicted to the second hand smoke from marijuana. I have never heard of anyone becoming addicted in this way. The only time that I actually got high from the second hand smoke was when we were in the car with the windows closed and I think being in such close proximity to the smoke is why I did. I know people say you can get high from the second hand smoke but I do not really know if you can or not.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd not worry about it. The smoke that comes from marijuana is not bad, unlike the one coming from the average cigarette, that one is highly toxic and irritates the lungs greatly. But marijuana? I'd not worry unless you are in a room full of marijuana smokers are the air in the rooms gets so dense it's so hard to see.