An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Second hand smoke

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amr13, Apr 6, 2016.

1. amr13

amr13 Member

I've heard the dangers of second hand smoke but I was curious if you smoke outside and away from people, does the smoke carry from your clothes to other people? I am not a smoker myself but a loved one of mine smokes often and it seems like her infant daughter always smells like smoke too. She doesn't smoke around the baby but does handle her directly after ashing.
  2. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

No that doesn't even matter to your health at all because it's just the smell that is impregnated to your clothes and that's it, just wash them really good when noones around if that bothers anyone and you should keep doign your thing away from those who you lvoe if you intend in keeping their health on a good notch.
  3. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I no longer smoke, but I used to smoke all the time outside of buildings, sometimes near the entrance way where people would come and go. I feel really guilty about it now knowing how bad second hand smoke is. Clothes definitely absorb the cigarette odor. Not sure of the health effects of rubbing up on clothes exposed to cigarette smoke, but it's probably not good. I would avoid it if it's possible.
  4. amr13

amr13 Member

Her baby is always coughing too so it started to worry me. It is also possible that she is smoking closer to them when I am not around.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hi @amr13.

If her baby smells like smoke, it means that she is not smoking far enough from her baby. The smell of smoke won't stick to clothing unless there is a lot of it and that the clothing is frequently exposed to it. Her baby's cough might be due to something else but it is still possible that she may have been exposed to second hand smoke. I think that they should go see a doctor and have her baby checked, just to be safe.
  6. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

The baby is coughing and smelling of smoke and that's a worrying situation. Even though she is said to be smoking away from the baby the smoke residue is enough to be affecting the baby in some ways. She should be more careful in not letting the smoke residue, which is so strong that it's causing the baby to smell like smoke, get to the baby.
  7. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

There are many smokers that we meet up while riding the elevator who are not presently smoking but you can smell the smoke from their clothes. While I have experienced some female smokers who after smoking would spray themselves to get rid of the smell from their clothes especially when they have to return back to the working area.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have read something about third hand smoke which is the smell or odor that was retained on things after smoking. Agree that if the baby smelled like smoke, the baby was still probably exposed to the smoke and the coughing should be checked.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't think smoke travels that far outside. If you're out doors you may be able to smell it but I doubt it will get into your clothes. Smoking in the house or in closed in spaces can cause smoke to get into your clothes. Cigarette smoking or any other kind can get into clothes or other things.
  10. amr13

amr13 Member

I am worried about the baby. She actually has two children and they are both having problems with coughing. She said she took them to the doctor and it wan not related to the smoke but she also lies a lot.
  11. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Second hand smoking would be the only concern that I would have. The smell of smoke on clothes has no effect, but I would worry about breathing in ashes stuck on clothing.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I don't really know the facts... but I have heard from some people that the smell has caused them respiratory issues. My fiance's clothes reek of cigarette smoke, so does his hair :/ But after a while you stop noticing it, at first the smell was so overwhelming, but now not so much. I don't think it's so healthy for everyone, but specially babies... they are so sensitive to everything.
  13. amr13

amr13 Member

I agree and I personally do not think she is smoking far enough from the babies. She says she wants to quit but I haven't seen her try once.
  14. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

There is such a thing as third hand smoke. The babies might not be in direct contact with the smoke but the clothes or even the hair used when smoking may get contaminated nicotine and other chemicals from the cigarette smoke. This might still cause some problems with the babies.

A friend of mine used to smoke a lot even after giving birth and when she smokes she uses her "smoking jacket" as she calls it, so that it wont stick to the clothes she wears when taking care of the baby. Still the best way to avoid complications is to quit.
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

No, it doesn't but the smell will cling onto your clothes. Some people might have a reaction to the smell but it won't harm them like second hand smoke.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

When I used to smoke the smell of tobacco would cling t0 my clothes, but it would not cling to other places anymore. Only to my clothes and hair. Maybe the baby rubs up on the clothes so the smell clings to her.
    amr13 likes this.
  17. amr13

amr13 Member

I hope that is the case because the babies keep coughing and its been almost two months.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If that's the case then maybe the baby gets to inhale some of the smoke because the wind carries them inside the house and the smoke enters through the windows. I think the baby must be kept in a room where the smoke can't reach it.
  19. tackykardia

tackykardia Member

Just from gong to places that had second hand smoke, my clothes and everything would smell like smoke and the smell would stay on my clothes and me for a long time after until I took a shower or washed them. I'm not sure if it can get on someones just from being around someone else's smoky clothes. But It's possible.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think if the smell was heavy enough on your own clothes, and then you picked up a child for instance, that you would be able to transfer the smell. That's why with my child I have a strictly no smoking policy around her - I don't care if you smoked half an hour before coming to my house, you're not picking her up if I smell smoke on you! ;)