An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Secondhand Smoke

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by irishrose, Nov 2, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

According to the Center for Disease Control, there is no risk-free level of exposure to second hand smoke. Secondhand smoke can cause negative health effects, such as health problems in infants and children, like asthma, respiratory infections, ear infections, and can cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. According to the CDC, smoking during pregnancy causes 1000 infant deaths each year. Coronary heart disease, lung cancer, and stroke are potential health risks for adults exposed to secondhand smoke. For more information, check out the CDC's website: http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...dhand_smoke/health_effects/index.htm#overview

Do you know of anyone who has had any of these negative effects of secondhand smoke? My mother's parents both smoked, and she and some of her siblings have had asthma their entire lives. If you still smoke, do you ever smoke outside to prevent these risks for your family members?
  2. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

Yeah. Secondhand smoke is absolutely horrible for you. My Mom was a really heavy smoker, and she would always smoke around me. I would get sick quite a lot from it. She would legit smoke around 2 full packs a day. I've also heard that secondhand smoking is actually just as bad as smoking yourself, and I honestly believe that. I believe that if you're going to smoke, then you should at least have enough respect to go outside and get away from others so you aren't putting them at risk as well. I honestly wish someone would just ban smoking all together. Why would people sell something that is so bad for your health anyway? It doesn't make any sense to me. My advise to anyone who is around someone that smokes is to please ask them to not do it around you, or at least have them go outside or something. Their bad decisions isn't worth your health.
    aly likes this.
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I hate secondhand smoke and cannot stand to be around it. Not only do other people's cigarettes make me smell, but it causes me to cough excessively. The worst is being around someone that is smoking and feeling the effects of it the next day. There have been times that I've been around smoke and felt absolutely terrible the next day, similar to a hang over.
    aly likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Its only relatively recently that second-hand smoke as been considered as dangerous, if not more so than actually smoking a cigarette.

Here in the UK there was a famous story a few years ago about a singer/compare/comedian that worked all his life in bars and clubs around the country earning a living, but this was before the smoking ban was introduced so the premises were usually filled with cigarette smoke.

He'd never smoked a cigarette in his life but died from lung cancer that they say he got from inhaling all the second-hand smoke from over the years.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There are people I've heard who are exposed to second hand smoke for so long that they themselves get to, without knowledge, get to become nicotine addicts. This would explain why kids who've been exposed to cigarette smoke when they are young for a long period of time they moment they get their nicotine "fix" for the first time get hooked to smoking from then on.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not smoke and I have asthma before. Not sure if that was because of second hand smoke when my mother was pregnant since she was never a smoker.
    I have heard some news that some have lung cancer even they were not smokers mainly because they were being exposed to secondhand smoke.
  7. Fillit

Fillit Member

People who smoke indoors around others are absolutely disgusting, the whole room gets stained after years of smoking so you could imagine what it would do to a child who's growing there. That **** lingers on long after you're done smoking and there's a cumulative effect as well. Thank god they banned smoking inside pubs, i shiver when i remember the days when it was allowed. You think your clothes stink of smokes now after a night out? Ha!
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have never seen somebody affected by second hand smoking but I know that it is still dangerous as first hand smoking, that is why we are not supposed to smoke while we are indoors. Second hand smoking can also cause cancer besides other diseases. I know of a friend who never care and usually smokes while indoors and before his kids. I guess it is because he never understands about the dangers he is posing to his family.
  9. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I have to be honest and say that people who smoke cigarettes are usually insensitive and in general terms do not care about people around them. It is not always like that but rarely will you see someone asking you whether cigarettes bothered you or not. They assume you are ok with it and they continue filling your lungs with that poison. Once i had situation with a fellow who smoked even when a pregnant woman was present. She did not say anything but in the end i asked him a quick question. I said,'Excuse me, are you ok with this air we breathe? If it is bothering you, we can go outside or on the balcony to breathe a bit more and we will return then.It is not problem at all.'. He was looking at me like i was speaking some dead language. Eventually he understood my words and went outside along with his smoke.
  10. Leanna_Jeanne

Leanna_Jeanne Member

While I do not personally know anyone that has developed a disease from being around second-hand smoke, I know my daughter's asthma is greatly effected by it. Even outside, being in close proximity to a smoker, will cause her to start wheezing and coughing.
  11. hwarren

hwarren Member

I agree, most smokers are aware of the damage they are doing themselves but not to others. I read somewhere that secondhand smoke is even more dangerous than smoking itself. I find it really inconsiderate when smokers don't even ask if it's OK to smoke around me. When I used to smoke I would always make a point of asking and if it's not OK I wouldn't do it. Human rights.
  12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Second hand smoke ruins everything. I had a father that smoked and I had to get away from him when he did it. The second hand smoke ruins everyone's health that inhales it and ruins your home and anything else the smoke can attach itself to. So even of your done smoking, the smoking smell will still hang around you and your clothes,furniture,ect. It's like you can't escape it.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, with knowing what we know about cigarette smoke in general just being cognizant of second hand smoke and the dangers is something that everyone needs to be aware of. Smoking smells really hideous to those who don't smoke, and it can be dangerous as well, so I think taking the steps to not be near people who don't smoke is only fair.
  14. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

In my case, my mom was not a smoker, but while she was pregnant with me she was exposed to second hand smoke every day for about 7 months to 7.5 months at her place of work. Consequently I was a very sick child with asthma and allergic pretty much everything. Luckily as I grew up and took part in sports as a teen, I overcame my conditions.
  15. aly

aly Member

As I was growing up, I lived with my grandmother who was a heavy smoker. I feel like this had a major negative impact on me since I have asthma. When I was around 6 she ended up quiting because it came to the point where I couldn't be in the same room as her when she lit a cigarette. After she quit I didn't have to be around the smoke and forgot how much it really effected me until I got to high school, this is when my friends started trying smoking. I have many friends still that smoke, and to this day the smoke effects me so much to where its difficult for me to breathe when I'm around it. I believe that that I am this effected by cigarette smoke because of the extent of my exposure to it at such a young age.