An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Seeking post cannabis-induced psychosis information

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by T.Silverman, May 14, 2020.

1. T.Silverman

T.Silverman Member

Hello there,

I am new to the forum. This question is not about myself, but my sister.

She has been ill with a variety of flu like symptoms for a number of weeks. Home schooling two kids and running a household whilst her husband works all day in the bedroom has been stressful on her. As it has been for so many in these strange times.

She's been on a couple of courses of antibiotics, but her persistent symptoms have kept her from sleeping well. She is not a regular drug user, barely even drinks alcohol anymore. But knows of a friend who had produced cannabis oil at home for their, now late, father who had terminal cancer.

So she obtained some hoping to help her get some much needed rest. She told me she had a 'pin prick' size, kept it very very small, but somehow she ended up in a cannabis-induced psychosis. It sounded terrible, as a brother thousands of miles away I feel very helpless and scared for her.

She takes no other meds, but has obviously been ill as mentioned and taking antibiotics.

She was taken to the hospital to stabilise her heart rate. She was crawling around on the floor screaming "help me", and ended up temporarily paralysed. I was so shocked to hear it, it sounds like a different person.

My worry now is...what now? It sounds like her brain has been through a lot. As the week rolls on and she is feeling better, do we just carry on like normal hoping the brain repairs any potential damage? Or is professional psychosis therapy needed (if such a thing exists)?

This is new territory for us both (and her husband) and although I have met people who have experienced this, I do not know the long term outcome.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Davers

Davers Community Champion

Was this her first time using cannabis ever ?

If so , ...In my experience ,, when I first started smoking Pot , it's would make me super paranoid & have panic attacks tho I did not know what was happening at the time .

Once i got over that first smoke or 2 in a day the paranoia subsided but If i missed a day or 3 of smoking , the first smoke would make me paranoid all over again tho not to the extent of the first time 's I smoked weed.

Again after I smoked a joint or 2 , the paranoia would pass but even when I smoked for the first time in over 10 years last May , it made me paranoid but not super bad , it got to where i'd rather smoke alone .

As for long term , 'I' had no bad psychotic issues '.

I hope your sister is well in the future