An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Seeking some advice

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Tae, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Tae

Tae Member

Although I care about my life, and my sobriety. My actions have not shown it. It's been a long time since I have had more than a month of clean time. And the only reason I ever stop is when I am out of cash ...i can tell myself all the good things I need to get done, I the good I can do for my loved ones, but when payday comes ((of which I am lucky to even be employed) I always make the wrong choice....has anybody had this issue and found personal breakthroughs in making the right choice? Tks
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Tae... Is there someone else you can ask to control your money? Not the ideal solution, but in the short-term, maybe it would help you make better decisions. Just a thought. Money can definitely be a HUGE trigger for any drug user.

I also think getting some professional help would be a good idea. Or going to support group meetings (NA, SMART Recovery, etc.).
    Dominica likes this.
  3. Tae

Tae Member

at the meeting where I was at I got offered some clear, it doesn't mean I shouldn't go the distance and find some others further out. I tried the money thing. We did prepaid gift cards. Worked for a minute. As long as my account is in my name it won't work. I do just e some good people in my life...selah
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Tae I agree that it may be time to reach out for professional help. use that money in that fashion, and you may get different results! ;)
    deanokat likes this.
  5. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Tae i'm glad you are reaching out here. shows that you are ready for some big changes... good changes!
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

I think change is usually the result of utter desperation. The AA big book talks about all the ways in which we tried to control our drinking (in my case) switching from scotch to brandy, never drinking in the morning, only at parties, taking a trip, not taking a trip. My point is, we can tell ourselves why we should quit or even plot ways to do so but until we feel that deep soul burning desperation our attempts are usually futile. I get what you’re saying, I get where your at, I’ve been in similar situations. Are you desperate enough to change everything and I mean everything about your life in order to get sober?
  7. deanokat

@Cametobelieve0202... I love this quote from my favorite author, Anne Lamott:

"Addicts and alcoholics will tell you that their recovery began when they woke up in pitiful and degraded enough shape to take Step Zero, which is: 'This sh*t has got to stop.'"

I think of the utter desperation you refer to is indeed Step Zero.
  8. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

Can I ask what is clear?
  9. deanokat

@Tae... Can you tell us what "clear" is?