An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Seen this and thought it was worth sharing...

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by L_B, Oct 16, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Community Champion

upload_2015-10-16_12-12-53.png

I seen this on my FB newsfeed and I thought it was worth sharing.
  2. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I love this! We need to remember that our loved ones are fighting an illness and we need to support them. But never enable them. I've learned that sometimes you have to support from a distance so that they will get better.
    L_B likes this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am learning that now too Carnold23. I was an enabler for far too long.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great post. Thanks, @L_B!
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

While I agree that most people who suffer from addiction are sad, misunderstood individuals, it's still their fault they started using drugs. Nobody made them do it, they came up with the idea in the first place. I'm sure they wouldn't have fallen for addiction if they thought more about it back them. And I'm talking about hard drugs here, and people who start using them even if they knew the risks. They knew they would end up like this, yet they went for it. It's a pretty silly decision.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

This is a great post and so true. In many cases it is not the actual person making the choice to engage in bad behavior, but the effect that the drugs and alcohol are having on their judgment. People are not in the right mind when there is the influence of drugs and alcohol overtaking them.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. deanokat

This is, in my opinion, exactly the kind of thinking that helps keep addiction wrapped up in the stigma it's been surrounded by for decades.

"It's still their fault they started using drugs. Nobody made them do it, they came up with the idea in the first place. I'm sure they wouldn't have fallen for addiction if they thought more about it back then."

@Nergaahl... Did you know that people don't KNOW that their brain is "wired" for addiction until AFTER they drink their first beer, smoke their first joint, etc? It's true. So, in reality, the only way anybody can guarantee that they won't become an addict--because that's what happens, you become an addict; you don't choose to be one--is to never ever take a sip of alcohol or try any kind of drug. But since I'm guessing that most people do indeed choose to experiment with alcohol or drugs at some point in their life, addiction will always be present. It's a brain disease. That has been proven. When you try alcohol or drugs for the first time, it's like playing Russian Roulette, except in this version addiction is the bullet. And 1 in 10 people will succumb to addiction just because their brain is wired that way. Nobody aspires to be an addict or alcoholic. They don't wake up one day and "come up with the idea" to do it. And to suggest that is just crazy.

"And I'm talking about hard drugs here, and people who start using them even if they knew the risks. They knew they would end up like this, yet they went for it. It's a pretty silly decision."

I'm pretty confident when I'm pretty sure that most people who end up using hard drugs started by using less dangerous drugs first. When those people move on to hard drugs, their brain has already been hijacked. They are no longer concerned about any risks. All they want is a better, longer lasting high, because their body has developed a tolerance for the lesser drugs they had been using. I don't believe any addict knows they'll end up the way they do. It's a progressive disease, my friend...not a "pretty silly decision."

Here's a link to an article for you and others to read:

Addiction now classified as brain disorder, not behavior issue

Here's an excerpt from that article:

"The disease creates distortions in thinking, feelings and perceptions, which drive people to behave in ways that are not understandable to others around them," Hajela said in a statement. "Simply put, addiction is not a choice. Addictive behaviors are a manifestation of the disease, not a cause."

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, @Nergaahl. But that doesn't mean they won't be challenged.

Peace.
  8. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Perfectly said, @deanokat. Nobody "falls for addiction" and as you thoroughly stated nobody I've ever met who struggles with addiction "knew they'd end up like this," especially the kids I meet who are making this "silly" decision to use for a myriad of reasons that we can't just categorize into "good" or "bad" reasoning, and that go far beyond black or white decision making. It's just not that simple.

Breaking this stigma is exactly what we're all about here and the reason why we work tirelessly to be a positive voice for those who struggle with addiction. @Nergaahl, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but my hope for those who decide to join our community is simply to please take the time to abandon your personal biases for a moment and look more closely at the science of addiction before making blanket character judgments against those we are here to support and inform.

- In peace and awareness
  9. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

This quote is very true. Addiction is definitely a disease. Take for example people diagnosed with lung cancer. Most people that are diagnosed with this disease have similar signs and symptoms of the disease. This is the same for a person with an addiction to a drug. People with an addiction to, for example, crack cocaine, all tend to exhibit the same type of behaviors, some may steal others may prostitute to get the drug. The behaviors vary but for many it is not something they would do if they were not suffering from an addiction to crack cocaine/disease. Some of the most friendly, caring, intelligent people have a substance abuse problem. It's definitely not their moral beliefs or personality that make them do the things they do it's the drug. So while lung cancer is a disease of the lungs, drugs are a disease of the brain. Thank you for sharing! The quote alone is very insightful.
    Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.
  10. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I like this, and I think it can help people who look down on people who are dealing with drugs and hopefully help them to be more compassionate. Sometimes I think that some people forget how much of a struggle that the person who is addicted to drugs or alcohol has on a daily basis and how often times they want to quit but find it so difficult.
  11. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I remember my uncle and his wife with this quote. My uncle's wife uses drugs often. She is addicted and uses his hard earned salary (he works abroad) to buy drugs. Now, the husband comes home and they live a normal life for about three days. Then suddenly, she leaves and took all all the earnings saved by the husband plus his gifts to their children (cellphone and jewelries). The husband was very much angry and frustrated. They found ways to find the wife. They did find her and he took her home even fetching her from that place.

Then at their house, he suddenly became violent. Take note, he was a very calm and peaceful guy. But then he changed. He banged her head in the wall and hammered her foot. We were all surprised by his violence! We know that his wife's actions were very bad and irresponsible. But to hit her? That is something that we didn't see coming.

This quote is perfect for such situations. We can never cause more harm to the addict. We must remember that there is an underlying problem. We should not see the person as the evil, just the actions and the behaviour. And if we correct them, then we see the full potential of the person. It's just masked by drugs or substance abuse.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The thing is, nobody ever woke up in the morning and thought "I know, why don't I become an alcoholic!" did they? We simply don't know what has happened in other people's lives and rather than using up hot air criticizing the addict, how about trying to understand the societal issues that lead to people misusing substances instead?
    deanokat likes this.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It actually hurt me a little to read the comment that as a former addict it was "my fault" that I got into it in the first place. Yes, I started drinking of my own volition but if I thought that it was going to be as problematic as it was when I started I wouldn't have gone down that road.

You wouldn't say to someone who got cancer that it was their fault - to me, addiction is just as much of a disease as cancer is. It grows in you until it's out of control and that might be the only point when you realize help is needed.
  14. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

This is so accurate. It's so hard to differentiate everything that is going on in your loved one's life. It's hard to accept that the person you know and love is still there, but has been taken over by addiction. This photo says it all.
  15. deanokat

Hugs to you, @kassie1234.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Unless the person is an addict, I will also hate the person if I don't like their behavior, since they are sane, right, so they are fully aware of what they are doing. Good post, by the way.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is really nice and right that it is worth sharing. :)
    People who have been into the problem of addiction need care and help especially from their loved ones. That would give them motivation to change.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Thank you for sharing. It's truly relevant, and I totally agree with the quote.

Instead of making someone feel bad about their addiction, why shouldn't we just take time to understand their situation and help them in our own simple way? They don't need your judgment, rather, they need your support.
  19. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

Why should we not hate the person? Every one of us is responsible for his/her actions and same is the case with the addicts. And I also disagree with the notion that the addict suffers more than his family and friends. The addict is in a constant state of ecstasy but the people who suffer most are his loved ones. So I believe that we should hate the addict as well as the disease.
  20. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

@deanokat @Joseph You did not understand my point. I was talking about those people who "experience" with (hard) drugs out of curiosity, thinking "it won't be that bad, will it?" then getting addicted to them as a result. For example, where I live there have been reported a plethora of cases of people who died because of the use of the "krokodil" drug, yet there are more and more individuals buying it from the streets. I simply don't get why would you want to touch something which has such a bad reputation and is known for being lethal and highly addictive. Yes, when it comes to cigarettes, alcohol and even food you may not know if you will get addicted to it until that moment. But getting hooked to drugs which are so harmful is... I will never understand why people do it.
    greybird29 and deanokat like this.