An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Self Confidence and Drugs

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by deewanna, Dec 16, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's situation, and I really hope that she don't start drinking again. As a friend, I think that your job is letting her know that you'll always be there for her, try to understand that it is a hard time for her and she might need to be alone for a while so try to give her space and time to think, as her friend you'll know when she's ready to face with this, because she will sooner or later, just try to support the decisions that are good for her.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You can remind her that using is not a solution and she need to be strong for herself. Maybe advise her to undergo counseling or self esteem development kind of programs. You can try making her join some groups or activities that are helpful.
    kgord likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Self esteem and self confidence can be easily shattered at the best of times but can take years to get back. It's all about building her image and especially the way she looks army herself back up again.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think just being there for her is one way to help her move on and let go. Let her know that you're just there for her and if she needs someone to talk to, you can listen to her. For now, that's really all you can do. Be there when she needs you.

When she's ready, take her to activities like travelling, shopping and sports activities. Keep her mind off of the relationship and drugs as well. Even simply going to the gym together can help keep her mind busy. Good luck!
  5. pwarbi

And keeping the mind busy is an often underrated thing. If your thinking about one thing all the time it can get you down even more than you think.

Busy, busy, busy is the key to clearing the brain and mind of all the old stuff and trying to concentrate on the new.
  6. BoredPostman

BoredPostman Member

Breakups blow. I recommend taking her out as often as possible, filling her time with various activities, and ensuring that she isn't left alone with her thoughts very often. Now obviously this responsibility doesn't entirely fall on you, so enlist the help of as many people as possible.
    kgord likes this.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think you got some good advice in these threads. Remind her that if she uses, even though it might temporarily numb the pain, all the issues are still going to be there...when she is done, and she will feel worse about herself by succumbing to temptation.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I had a friend who was prescription drug addict. He wanted to give up drugs and needed my help. I felt pity on him and invited to share the college dormitory with me. We were together for a year and during the year he did not give up drugs, but was able to limit the drug usage. When I left the college, he was still living in the dormitory, and died three months later.
  9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Be her support system. Give her very encouraging words all the time. Just listen, when she needs someone to talk to. And take her mind off of things that cause her grief.
    pwarbi likes this.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I'm sorry she is going through a rough patch. Your friend should take this as a time to get herself together and reflect for a while. Just remind her that she is strong enough on her own as a person to cope with this without drugs. I don't know a person who meets Mr right the first time. Though while you do find one good enough for you take the journey as a means to figure out who you are as a person.
  11. pwarbi

I agree with this but you also have to remember to look after yourself aswell. There's no good being there for somebody whenever they need you, but at the same time letting your own life suffer.

Being strong for somebody else takes its toll, so make sure you are strong enough in the first place.
  12. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

This is a matter of self-awareness for me. If you learn how to believe in yourself and use values you already have in best way possible you will have no issues with confidence. Relaxing and believe it or not education, help you with this. a lot. You get more confidence when you realize you have the vocabulary to talk to anybody and feel at level with people. There is a time when you realize you feel gratitude to all those night s spent hugging the book and changing your set of thoughts forever by expanding them and expanding your thirst for knowledge.