An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Self-mutilation

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by primalclaws1974, Dec 5, 2014.

1. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have watched someone with this problem on a real life documentary before. He intentionally hurt himself whenever he have the thought of it like he thinks/feels he is useless, he feels he was rejected or he does not do things right. It will be definitely a scary experience to see someone in front of you hurting himself.
  2. morganmar33

morganmar33 Member

Trying to explain this in its simplest form... It's like when someone has a headache. If they pinched their arm they would forget about the headache briefly. It's the same concept. Some people cause themselves physical pain in order to forget about the deep emotional pain for a while. You have to be extremely depressed in order to resort to this. I know this from experience. When I was 15 years old I used to do this after a very traumatic event happened in my life. I am aware of some teens doing this lately because it makes them look "cool" around their friends,
    However cases like that are usually pretty easy to differentiate.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've never understood it either. I get that it releases endorphins like exercise does, I love exercise. I can at least see where they're coming from in that sense. But this whole "It let's me feel something" doesn't make sense to me. I mean, wouldn't you rather feel nothing than be in pain?

I'm sure I don't understand it and I'm sure there's more than meets the eye. It makes me wonder though.
  4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

You are right,

it is a very life threatening type of addiction, many people do not look at it that way to tell the truth , I have never looked at it in that manner, but it is an addiction that can hurt someone, for some reaso, I always tend to believe that people who do that maybe hear voices that convince them to cut themselves.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

When I was in high school, I used to cut myself. My parents didn't know I was doing it before. Well, until now, they still don't have any idea that I've been through this situation. I can't really explain why I did those thing to myself. Maybe I just felt out of touch with reality, and due to teenage angst, I felt so rebellious. Anyway, I was able to let go of this self-mutilation thing. It was not really an addiction. I just liked doing it.
  6. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I suffered from a cutting addiction in my teen years. At first, it was something I did to help cope with my life. I didn't understand a lot of the things my mom was allowing to happen in our lives (siblings and hers) with the abusive boyfriend of 11 years and the drugs we could often smell in the house. Therefore, I never used drugs or had another way to cope. We were not allowed out to friend's houses, or even to church.

My mom had been into too much trouble with Human Services to allow us to do anything. She cut off all communication for us aside from school and school functions were not even an option--she thought we were the ones calling social services. Either way, I found a release in cutting in places other's couldn't see. To be honest, I did this all the way until after the birth of my son. I had to take myself out of the home and stop paying all of her bills in order to find happiness within myself. Before I moved, I felt trapped and unable to move forward with my life.

I didn't face problems with the cutting again until about a year ago while I was detoxing from a medication for Fibromyalgia, Cymbalta 60 mg. I am fine now, it was simply caused from withdrawals. But the cutting for coping was never something I meant for others to see, nor for a cry for attention.

I suppose the intent will change from person to person.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Why did you have to detox from a medication for Fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia isn't curable, my ex-fiancee has it and two of her sister-in-laws have it and they all have to keep taking the medication for it for the rest of their lives.
  8. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

Well @Sparkster the medication I was prescribed for treatment, also treated other symptoms that I did not have at the time, causing a chemical imbalance--Cymbalta 60mg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duloxetine. When I was first given this medication, I was working in a refrigerated factory, on an assembly line where my back had to stay bent in order for me to do the job. Most of the ladies in the entire plant were at least a foot shorter than me (I am 5'11"), so there were metal stands that couldn't be moved in work areas at all times. I had to stand on them. My doctor explained that these working conditions brought on Fibromyalgia.

Even at my next job where I didn't have to lean constantly, I still had persistent pain in my back so I had to continue the medication. Although my back felt decent most of the time (not a 100% thing), my personality changed rapidly and in ways that I couldn't see. When I caught onto these new mental disorders, I talked to my doctor while I still had a good job and insurance, and he gave me something to counter the Cymbalta. I instantly started having back problems and couldn't make the change because of the pain.

Currently, I do not work. I am still in recovery (until the court system is out of my hair), but I am sure that once I go back to work I will have to be put back on medication. I have my fingers crossed that I won't. My doctor made the statement that even though I don't feel pain now, it doesn't mean that I won't once I start having to stay on my feet more. He also mentioned that regular light physical activity will help to keep my back from hurting so much. However, I have mentioned about my sex life coming to a screeching halt--which probably is one of the biggest reasons I don't hurt so much anymore.

Fibromyalgia is caused by different things in different people, but the end result is usually nerve damage. I am thinking that since most of my pain does in fact come from intercourse, perhaps sexual abuse from my son's father is what brought mine on at the age of 20. Stress and work conditions causes severe inflammation in my back, and honestly on days that I clean my house OCD style, I end up taking acetaminophen due to lower back pain for the next few days.

My doctor also mentioned that I was already on the highest dosage of this medication, I had been for 3 years, and that there was a good possibility I would have to make a switch to a new medication, if I would have continued to work. He mentioned something about my body building a tolerance to it, which is why the mental disorders became so rapid in the last 6 months that I took this medication. Apparently, depending on your lifestyle--cigarette, alcohol, caffeine, food and drug intake (which I do/did none) all play in to how much you hurt.

I have never once stated that I am clear or free of Fibromyalgia, just the fact that since my husband has asked me to become a stay at home mom, I have not had to be treated for it. But with that being said, I also follow a diet and physical activity plan to help keep my body neutral, and from inflammation arising. There are changes you can make to your daily life to help lighten the pain of Fibromyalgia.

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/ss/slideshow-fibromyalgia-friendly-exercises

http://www.lyrica.com/Fibromyalgia/...=25229721|193636913|0&skwid=43700001821047179

Hope these help!
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I read the cutting helps to release some endorphins for some, because the body tries to help aleviate pain. The details are not very clear to me because i read about that a long time ago, but if those details are right, then I can see how this can become addictive. I'd never try it tho, I just don't like the idea of cutting myself, and by doing so expose myself to catch some nasty disease or something like that.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

The only time I actually saw someone actively mutilate themselves was at a goth club. However, I think there was also some attention-seeking going on in this situation. There was a goth guy outside the club that just smashed a car window with his fist. His hand was bleeding but he kept on hitting the remaining glass shards with the palm of his hand and screaming at his girlfriend. Very strange behavior but he didn't seem to be under the influence of any substances.
  11. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

That's really awful and sadly I had also a friend who died for this type of things. Basically he used to jump from his flat apartment onto the roof of the garage box. Usually it gets a couple of bones broken but nothing really serious. Last time he did this he hurt the head and went in coma. After some days he died. It seems like a funny story but sadly it isn't..
  12. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Well, that kind of makes more sense. Thanks for sharing it. I can kind of see what you mean, although I still don't really "understand" why there isn't a better way. I guess a lot has changed since I was a teen.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I know someone close to me did this once. She cut her wrists because she feels useless. But that was only once. People who do this always have a deeper problem and need support from their loved ones. They probably have pains or thoughts that they cannot bear and would need some medical assistance.
  14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Some people hurt themselves conscientiously. some others not, depend much on a-per-person basis and their background in addictions, psychological problems, or simply mood swings.

Actually it's easy to find literature on people using knives to hurt themselves as punishment for eating too much or doing what they think is a wrong thing.

But I remember myself being a teenager and not having any addiction then, and yet hurting myself, probably as punishment to make my mother cry sometimes we exchanged arguments.

However I used to scratch my face and neck, bite my hands, or cut my hair as self-reprimand, but same as this problem suddenly came, same way it went away by itself shortly later.
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

We really don't know why other people are harming themselves or what we called "self harm" like cutting themselves with a knife. That is why we should not easily judge them. Maybe they had their own reasons behind it. Maybe it is their own way to express their feelings how to cope with their problems and to release their emotional pains in life. People suffering from this kind of behavior after harming themselves they will feel better for a while then when their painful feelings returns back again then they will hurt themselves again. So if you are the kind of person who is in this kind of situation just remember that in every struggles and pains you had in your life you can get through it even without hurting yourself..
  16. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have never actually known people who do it, but have watched TV shows on the subject. They rationalize that physical pain takes away from emotional pain. It can be very dangerous and even deadly if the accidently cut open a vain. Many times they have to go through treatment to get through the emotional problems that lead to cutting.