An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Self-Pity Is Destructive

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 10, 2015.

1. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Self-pity is only destructive when we let it dictate our journey in life. I think that it is a feature of everyone's subconscious; it is just that some of us are able to curb it and some of us aren't. The latter let self-pity get to their heads and take charge of the bad decisions they make. If you're strong enough to resist its impulse, you should consider yourself a winner.
  2. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

That's exactly what it's like. Having a good cry gets the wealth of emotion in your system out, and lets you move past it faster. But you must act on it or you'll be back where you are in a day or two and have nothing to show for it but the scars of the last time. And if you are anything like I was, more empty liquor bottles laying around.
    pineywood likes this.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. While I think it is a very important tool for anyone, recovering addict or not to be as self reliant as possible, it's hard to deny that having support certainly helps. It's unfortunate that some don't have such a luxury though but of course it isn't necessary.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out through giving such great tips. I really appreciate it a lot. And yes, I would definitely try doing all those things you have mentioned. :)
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Totally agreed, I looked at that Reddit post you linked before and it really resonated with me. Made me feel good that I do strive to have no zero days, even when I’m at my worst.
  6. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

If all you can do is shake fish food in the tank, then do that. And then, seconds later, you've just accomplished a no-zero day. Take everything in small, bite sized steps. It's easy to get overwhelmed and get disheartened, and that's why the theory of the no-zero day is so important and that's why I love sharing it.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that a problem is cannot be solved by another problem, worst if you will lean into addiction. Avoid self pity and learn to appreciate oneself more. Like looking on your strengths or skills and use it to make you a better person.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The brighter side is always something you can see. There is a lot of light. Lol Escape self pity by distancing yourself from those that seem to be caught in it. It seems almost contagious. Complaining and talking about the negative things tends to perpetuate them. What's funny is how some people indulge in it continually but if they hear someone else do this, they don't want to listen. They want you to hear their constantly negativity but no one else's. Double standard almost. I don't know, focus on the good things. Try to teach yourself to think about what is right or good that is going on.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It just makes me feel guilty when someone says your life is pretty good, or look at so and so, who might have an incurable disease or something. Yes, there are lots of people who have it worse, but we can not compare ourselves to others. I think the most positive thing we can do when we start feeling sorry for ourselves is to look at ways we can improve our lives to have more of what we want.There are few things that can't be changed for the better.