An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Self Recovery

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Davienna, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Hello everyone. I am a single mother from Jamaica and I would just like to tell you a little about my self recovery from alcohol addiction.
    I grew up in a community where smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol were social norms, my father was and still is addicted to crack cocaine. Whenever I visited him , he would give me marijuana to smoke but I did not become addicted as I despise the taste of it and I could not tolerate the smoke. My addiction to alcohol was related to the stresses of life which I thought I could not handle on my own well, whoever said alcohol was man's best friend? I turned to alcohol for comfort as it would allow me to fall asleep, but then I would wake up to be facing the same problems anyway.
    This was all before I became pregnant with my baby girl and was working in bars, something I totally despised. One day after recovering from being drunk, I realized that I was becoming addicted and I remembered my father and what drug addiction did to him and our family. Addiction in any sort is no good, so I used that as my motivator, I also thought about the money I was spending on liquor and realized it would benefit me to save it all.
    It is easier for some, than others to break the habit. I would say it was somewhat easy for me as I just focused on me and the negative ways which my alcohol abuse had impacted my life. It took me four months to fully recover, as I started to reduce my intake until I just wanted it no more.
    To free oneself from substance abuse, we have to look deep in ourselves and realize the effects of our addiction and start working on them immediately. Try to confide in a friend, someone who will support you through recovery and remember it is always easier to talk to strangers or a professional counselor about substance abuse. Many persons fear talking to relatives or even close friends which they know personally because of the fear of being judged. I always choose online support groups as I can disclose anything without being scrutinized.
  2. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Welcome to the forum Davienna, thanks for sharing your story. I totally agree with what you say, if we don't look inside we will never get rid of the addiction...
  3. Davienna

Thanks for the welcome, now I feel at home :)
  4. camsdad

camsdad Member

I have also been trying self recovery. I take a look at all of the things I've lost, whether it was electronics or people that I really cared about. I have found it easier to talk to strangers about my abuse like you mentioned, they can give better opinions on the matter because all they know is what you're telling them. Sometimes when I'm dealing with my family I feel like, because they might have been personally affected by my drinking, their emotions get in the way and the judgement is very harsh, which can scare me away. Thanks for sharing your amazing story.
    Davienna likes this.
  5. Davienna

You are welcome my dearest and in time you will achieve whatever you set out to do, with much dedication and commitment.Just keep in mind, you are doing this for you and the ones you love the most.
    Peninha and camsdad like this.
  6. MrMegistus

MrMegistus Member

That is so true. Sometimes, when a family member or close friend knows something they can be judgmental. Maybe it's the love in them. There are times when a family member of friend won't judge, but because they've expressed judgment toward another person's addiction, it would bring on anxiety from the individual looking to confide in them. I know when I was going through alcohol abuse I didn't speak to anyone about it that I was close to or who knew me pretty well. I would talk to people I didn't know... they might judge me, but I didn't care.

Anyway, I'm glad you decided to share your experience, and I hope that others can gain some hope from knowing that other people are out there going through the same thing, and that you can give them something familiar and positive to relate to, Davienna. :)
    camsdad and Davienna like this.
  7. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That is exactly it, we are doing it for ourselves, we are trying to recover our life so that we can be a positive part of the lives of the ones we love.
  8. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Thanks so much for sharing your story, @Davienna
    Strong women rock. :)
    Davienna likes this.
  9. Davienna

Amen to that my dear. I am so happy to be able to share my experiences on this platform.
    Jen S. likes this.
  10. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Hi Davienna! I definitely know the trouble that you've been through, because I've had problems with alcohol as well. And up to now, I'm still battling to overcome it. But it's nice to hear that you're doing okay now. You have done a really great job and please know that I adore you!
  11. Davienna

Thank you and I am sure you will get there in time. It may be easier for some of us but with time things will definitely get better.
  12. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Well done Davienna! Indeed, it is true that change comes from within. If you really look inside you and firmly decide that you don't want to have anything to do with your old ways, addiction or not as long as it's a bad behaviour, then you can do it! You're such a determined person to live your life above your situation as you have a father who even gives you something to get hooked to.

Keep it up! Be an encouragement to others who share the same problem. Wish you well!
  13. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I must commend you for breaking the yokes of addiction because i know it is hard especially for someone like yourself. Am glad that the love you have for your daughter motivated you to stop taking booze and that you had a strong support network. I just hope that you'll keep the fight and keep away from drugs as much as possible.
  14. Davienna

Thanks and I have been staying away for years and I don't even have the inclination to ever try it again
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good for you that you have managed to do that and keep it up. :)
    Telling about the situation to your friends or family can help you feel better and they could give support as well as advices.
  16. Davienna

Thanks, that is so true but in most instances the family is normally the last option.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Welcome. :)
    It will be really great if there are someone in the family that will support and understand.