An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Seroquel & Alcohol

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Fateswing, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Fateswing

Fateswing Member

Curious if anyone else here has been prescribed this medication?
    It is an anti-psychotic that is usually used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and/or depression. I have been on this medication for a sum total of 2 years now. Though I was on a fairly high dosage, in the first weeks of taking it, I still had an urge to drink alcohol with my medication. Luckily I only did this a couple of times before fully realizing that is ABSOLUTELY NOT what I should have been doing!
    My experience with abusing this medication was short lived, but if anyone else is struggling or has had a similar experience, please share!
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I spent about 2 years on Seroquel too. Drinking on these tablets is not a good idea at all. They make one drink seem like three and you're quickly floored. If you do want to have a drink whilst taking these meds, choose a smaller serving of a lower alcohol beverage and just have the one! Really, though, it's best just to avoid alcohol altogether on these type of drugs.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Seroquel is bad news. There are tons of lawsuits against the makers of that stuff. The things a friend of mine did on that was just ridiculous.
    Jimmy Hendrix in the pic there. The deeper story with that is that rock stars and celebs are advertisements for the lifestyle that kills you. Whatever the reason is that you think you need drugs for there is always a better way. You just need to look for it.
  4. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I have been prescribed Seroquel before, and I was a pretty heavy alcoholic at the time. It would DRASTICALLY reduce my tolerance. I would black out a lot more easily with Seroquel involved. It also made the hangover nastier.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Here is my experience with Seroquel...

When my son was suffering from severe depression and anxiety, his psychiatrist prescribed him Seroquel. One morning I was in a rush to get to work and I wasn't paying close attention when I was taking my morning meds. Instead of taking one of my medications, I accidentally took one of my son's Seroquel tablets. I didn't think much of it until I was driving to work and got so incredibly tired I thought I was going to fall asleep at the wheel. It was like someone had given me the most powerful sedative in the world. It scared the hell out of me. At the time, I weighed about 220 pounds. My son? He weighed about 140 pounds. I could only imagine the effect that same dosage had on him.

Needless to say, my wife and I pulled the plug on our son taking Seroquel. And yeah, since then I've heard all kinds of bad things about it.