An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Service for you loved ones!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by 003, Feb 19, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

I think being able to love and to live for others specially for the ones most you love and most important to you is the best tool for being strong to take on the challenges and succeed them. If we are going to completely abandon our own mundane desires and we will be able to completely other people selflessly, then we will be able to overcome our most hideous desires for our own pleasures. Service for others I think then is a great inspiration we could cling onto.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Living to serve others or to love others can really be a good motivation to be a better person. :)
    It is giving your life a purpose and making others feel that they are not alone. Good way to spend time better than on spending it to addiction.
  3. olb1213

olb1213 Member

I totally agree! Devoting time to making life better for others is one of the best ways to feel a sense of purpose and belonging in this messed up world!
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

We should be selfless in our desire to have a positive impact on other people's lives. We should be willing to sacrifice our time, money and resources in pursuit of helping others facing challenges in their lives. Love is the greatest gift that we can offer to anyone and everyone who matters most to us.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I agree that we should all take time out to love others and show them how much they are appreciated. There is nothing more special than to showing someone else you care about them and love them.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I tried it once and regret it. Most people [and I'm talking about kinsfolk] won't appreciate what you do for them. Of course they'll be happy when you are doing some good things for them but stop abruptly and you'll see for yourself how fast their love will be transformed into something else.

Nonetheless someone who had done much to hurt their loved ones when they were addicted to a substance, ought to show their care. Their penance then should be serving their loved ones the rest of their lives.
  7. Rosyrain

Have you ever noticed ed that there are some family members who will call upon you for favors, but then when you call upon them back, they are too busy to help? You should love freely and be there to care for people, but do not let them use and abuse you. You should also never be made to feel as though you owe people your life because of the things you may have done when you were high or drunk.
    Rainman likes this.
  8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

No one lives just for himself. I realize that for each of my goals in life, other people are always involved. I dream to have a good job all the time so that I can provide well for my family. I think my intentions have never been selfish that's why I can also consider myself very successful in everything I do. You are absolutely right when you said that living for others is a good motivation in everything. It also feels so good when you are able to help and make other people happy.
  9. Rosyrain

It does feel good to make others happy and I try to make at least one person smile each day. I feel that if we can make others smile then the world might one day be a better place for everyone. I would like to get involved in charity at some point so that I may be able to help others in need.
  10. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I love myself as well as I love my family who are the most important persons in my life. My love for them is unconditional that is why I will do everything for them even I will sacrifice a part of my life for them. Because I know and I feel that they are also doing the same to the best that they can by supporting me to reach my aspirations and dreams in my life. I am just lucky that I had a close family ties with my parents and siblings and even we had our own families already we still stick together as one big happy family who are always there for each other during the good and bad times of our life and we never leave each other alone..