An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Setting Daily Goals

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Long term goals are great for some people. But recovering addicts need something different. Short term goals that will motivate them to keep fighting. I've heard that setting daily goals can help an addict stay sober. For example, if someone used to smoke cigars, they can make it their goal not to touch cigars "TODAY." If they achieve their goal today then maybe tomorrow they can do the same.
    MarkM34 likes this.
  2. Charles P.

Charles P. Community Advocate

Rainman,
    That is a great idea, and for sure, any long term goals are sometimes too hard to achieve. Addiction quickly becomes such a daily grind of looking for your substance, using your substance, and then right back to looking for your substance again. This is the best time of the year to set those type of goals!!!!

Charles P.
    MarkM34 and Rainman like this.
  3. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

It is a great idea because it can help rebuild someones belief day by day. No one has to climb a mountain or go over the top. The most important thing is to build up the respect they have for themselves. It's important to forgive yourself and learn from the experience. Don't let anything negative bring you down. Think that's good advice
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Good advice rainman. I quit smoking 9 days ago now and it can be a challenge to refrain from going to buy a pack of smokes. The biggest thing on my mind when I do have cravings is that I do not want to go through the first 72 hours again. That was hard to get through, but I remind myself that I made it. I even keep a daily count now of how much money I have saved and that keeps me motivated. 9 days is $72 dollars.
  5. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

When it comes to substance abuse - each new day is a new challenge. Setting daily goals for yourself can help you keep on track because it encourages you to stay focused and productive - in cases of addiction idle hands are definitely the devils playpen.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

For some people it goes even further than daily goals. Some have to do hourly goals. Just getting out of bed is a challenge for some. You have to get out of bed to go to work. You have to shower before putting on your work clothes. So on and so forth. Baby steps before leaps and bounds.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah I like this one. Daily goals I think everyone can benefit from that pretty much. Yes it is very much about today and not tomorrow or next week.
  8. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I think this is a great idea..for everybody to have a planner for the year. We should stay organized and abreast of all important dates and activities in our lives. I think this can also help with looking forward to the future and also to mark how many days you have stayed drug-free...or alcohol free. This helps us with everyday living and can sometimes take the stress away.
  9. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I also believe in daily goals for addicts, This way their road to recovery will seem much easier
  10. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If you have problem with sticking to your goals, you should never set unrealistic goal or long term goals. Your goal should be something you can fulfill if you actually try and it should be short term. Here is an example: instead of quitting cigarette for 7 days, try something like I will not smoke today and stick to this goal.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think goal setting is wonderful, and like you said it doesn't need to be long, long term goals - daily goals are fabulous in my opinion. I find that setting daily goals means that I'm more productive and focused, and always getting things done that are in line with outcomes I want to achieve. Plus, it's a lot easier to take things day by day and make progress that way, than it is to jump in at the deep end!
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's true. I just always try to set daily goals so as not to feel a little overwhelmed about them. Having and keeping daily goals in life would definitely make someone feel even more motivated to overcome their cravings/addictions.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's true. I just always try to set daily goals so as not to feel a little overwhelmed about them. Having and keeping daily goals in life would definitely make someone feel even more motivated to overcome their cravings/addictions.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

So true. Having short term goals can help a person be motivated on achieving it. Achieving short term goals can give more hope and strength that they can achieve more as time goes by. It is important to be realistic as well on setting goals.