An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Setting Realistic Goals

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Abstinence sure is the only way to stay sober. It's easier though to do do that if you set realistic goals which you can achieve.

For example, instead of saying [or deceiving yourself] that you'll stay sober the whole year, focus instead on staying sober for one day. Since it's easier to stay sober for a day, sticking with such a plan would give you the impetus to keep going throughout the year and probably as long as you are alive.
  2. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

I agree 100%. In addition to avoiding toxic situations, ocuupying yourself with other activities, being very motivated, and setting your priorities straight - it is good to take it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Good post.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. This is true not only for addicts but for all people in general. Most people set goals that are far too distant or unrealistic which leads to disappointment and to causes a bad cycle. Of course this is especially true in addicts wherein they would beat themselves up too much for straying that they end up right where they started. Very good advice for anyone, thanks!
  4. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

Setting goals and following through with them is a great way to keep you organized. If you are working towards something then you may be more determined stay focused. Setting goals helps you have a backup plan for any unexpected events or triggers.
  5. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

Goals are necessary for a successful plan, be it sobering up, or staying clean. The goals must stay ahead of you, while still being feasible. Start off small, and work your way up to your final destination.
  6. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

This is also what I always tell my friends. Little baby steps go a long way when done consistently. Although there have been times where going cold turkey has worked better for me such as when I decided to cut my video game addiction and stop the caffeine habit.
  7. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

All goals, are real. The word real does not express something that is tangible or physical, it literally means,"kingly; to revere or esteem as most highest," because it derives from 'regal' which itself comes from 'rex', thus meaning 'king.' So one's goal, is real - look at the "etymology" or the history of words, not only the contemporary definitions [rule of words], which is merely a person's interpretation of words e.g. Noah Webster's first dictionary was mocked and disregarded as a joke by the people of the his time.

To set goals, one must also use proper grammar in order to be clear in one's thinking and planning, successful people, business persons, and Government Agents know and practice this all the time. Without knowledge, there is no way to have power [control].
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I guess sobriety is achieved one day at a time and there's no short-cut to it. The speed of your recovery ultimately depends on how long or intense you've been abusing a substance and how badly you want to be sober. The urge to abuse recurs from time to time so a strong will is necessary to overcome such temptations.
  9. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Short term goals are easier to obtain and you are less likely to fail them. Long term goals can be more difficult to reach if that is your starting point and that can set you up for failure. If you set a goal for staying sober each day that you get up, you will eventually reach a year and even more. So, eventually your short term goals will lead to a long term goal.
  10. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

You obviously need to try and remain sober always moving forward, but it absolutely helps to focus upon each day rather than focusing upon say a year or five years or the rest of your life. By taking things one day at a time, it makes it easier to abstain from whatever drug or substance you're trying to avoid. Keeping goals wide and far-reaching by calling it a year or multiple years just seems so much more daunting to the mind.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Some people have to go even further then the next day. Sometimes I have to break it down even further. Some people can't even get out of bed to get ready for AA meetings. So this is what I tell them. If you can't make goals for the next 24 hours then why don't you break it down even further. Set a goal to get out of bed, then a goal to brush your teeth, then take a shower. Some people need to have micro goals just to make it to the next hour.
    Rainman likes this.
  12. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

This post is absolutely right - if you are an addict you have probably resolved to change and stop over and over again - but just thinking that your life is going to change overnight is crazy - it is imperative that you be able to set realistic goals that are personalized to your needs and are attainable with your struggles.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is good. One day at a time is what a lot of people say. This applies to many different scenarios. It's probably somewhat harder to break a bad habit than it is to make a good one. There has to be a good reason. Need or hitting the bottom. Great habits can come out of really bad situations. Sometimes this is what it takes.