An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Severe anxiety - could it be linked?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Cheeky_Chick, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Recently, even though I haven't had a drink for some time now, I have been suffering from very severe anxiety, which I will admit has become a worry to me. There is nothing in my life that is stressful that could be causing this, so the only thing that I can think is that it may be something to do with my addiction.

Has anybody else felt anxiety as a symptom, even months after they last had a drink? I just don't know what to believe. In a way I would PREFER it to be a symptom of addition, because at least then I know what is causing it, and will be able to deal with it properly.
  2. goaliegirlone

goaliegirlone Member

I definitely experience extreme, irrational anxiety when I try to stop drinking as well. In the same way that you just described, I have no real reason to be stressed out or anxious. In fact, I recently have found myself making up reasons to be worried all the time. The worst part is that I know my behavior is irrational but I can't help myself. The reason I know it is related to alcohol withdrawal is because growing up, I never experienced feelings that were even close to similar. In fact, I was always the super laid back child in my family. I have gone through phases of addiction and recovery and I've noticed, too, that the more times I go back to drinking, the more extensive my anxiety gets as I try to recover again. It took me a while to realize, but now that I have, I know for a fact it is related to alcohol withdrawal and I have now been sober for over 6 months and the symptoms are starting to disappear. I hope this was helpful!
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's possible that you started drinking to block out anxious and fearful feelings in the first place so it might be that now you aren't self-medicating, they symptoms are becoming more apparent. Even if you believe that there's no real reason for these feelings, it might be worth trying to work through them anyhow.
  4. MNyte

MNyte Member

Yes, it may just be withdrawal from drinking. Your body has attempted to customize and accommodate for the lack of alcohol intake, so it may provide violent reactions. Even years later, you may still have this occur, depending on how severe your addiction is. Just try to cope with it and give consent to other things that are more important.
  5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

It would not surprise me at all if there is a link. Your body probably doesnt know how to cope since you are giving it what it is used to. Therefore its responding in strange ways. Ive always believed theres a link between anxiety and addiction as a lot of people I know who deal with anxiety are also addicts.
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Yes I know the feeling of anxiety it really stresses a person out especially in recovery. It was bad in the being for me I did have a prescription for it. I didn't take the meds I did my best just to keep busy with crafts etc... After a while it got better then I wasn't an issue anymore so hang in there.
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

I think anxiety can occur due to your anxious pangs for alcohol. Because something is missing, you are anxious. I think it is common for people to suffer from anxiety when they are recovering from alcohol. It is also because you don't have the soother for what ever reason you started drinking in the first place.
  8. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

Withdrawal could be linked to quitting. It can be severe enough to lure one back for another drink to avoid the feeling. I wish you well and hope you will let the feeling pass as it does with time.
  9. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Severe anxiety could be more linked with obsessions that are continuous in the head, which is difficult to deal with. It could be triggered by a lot of things, but there is hope to get through that, praying to the lord with a genuine heart is a way, it worked for me.