An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sharing of prescription drugs

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by pwarbi, Mar 13, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The sharing of presrciption drugs seems to be on the increase, especially here in the U.K. Prescriptions are getting increasingly harder to obtain from doctors, even for everyday illnesses and they are certainley less willing to give out strong painkillers as freely as they used to.
    This as led to an increase in drug sharing and is another way prescription drugs are being abused now.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

A lot of people in the UK sell their prescriptions too. I know one person who continues to collect codeine from the pharmacy, despite having being pain free for a year now. They sell the codeine to a friend who has an opiate addiction.

Of course, all this is comletely illegal and I'm not sure if people in this country realise that sharing or selling precription drugs could lead to a charge of drug dealing!
  3. pwarbi

I definitely agree that people dont see it as anything serious and just treat it as helping out a friend.
    Sharing or selling prescription drugs actually IS a criminal offence although I very much doubt anybody will be arrested for doing it, unless we're talking insane amounts over a long period of time.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

There is a big black market for prescription drugs. I even know of a site on the internet where people freely offer their prescription drugs for sale under the pretext of wanting to help others who have no access to these drugs. I'm sure that some of these sellers have altruistic motives, but at the end of the day it's a dangerous game. Administering pharmaceutical drugs on your own can easily lead to fatality.
  5. pwarbi

As well as specific sites on the internet, social networking sites are also being used to share and swap prescription drugs. While many may well be innocent posts asking their friends for some pain killers, a lot aren't and are more very well run businesses that uses these platforms to make a healthy amount of money.
  6. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Yes that is true, because there is no difference between that person and a drug dealer,which brings me the conclusion that, no matter how hard or how strict they make the drug regulations, somehow, drugs will still end up in circulation.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is harmful, because the medication is for the person who it given to and should not be given to anyone as the person can get unwell and also be taken to the hospital with serious issues. Some may try and sell it and make money, not thinking it is wrong only after they have been faced with the consequences and wake up after this. It may, not be good to do this as if the person is caught will be facing bad consequnces and regret doing this for money.
  8. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I have heard of people selling all kinds of prescription medication from adderall and xanax to oxycodone. I can't believe that people have developed a market around these drugs because people feel like it is okay to take drugs that were not prescribed to them. This is a cause for a alarm.