An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

She Died A Smoker

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by gracer, May 15, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

My aunt was a smoker since her teenage years. She smoked more than 1 pack of cigarettes per day for 50 years. Yes! 50 years. So she was a smoker almost all her life. She died at the age of 67 due to respiratory illness. She lived quite long for a chronic smoker which actually amazed me. Although she might have died without any respiratory complications had she not been a smoker. During the course of her illness she would still hold a stick on her hand. She only actually stopped when she was already bedridden. She was one of my favourite aunt because she was the sweetest. Maybe she could have lived a little bit longer if only she wasn't a smoker.
  2. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Oh, I am sorry to hear of your loss. 67 was too soon! My father smokes a pipe and his cough worries me to no end! At the same time, everyday, I struggle with not lighting up a cigarette, and what stops me, more times then not, is the sadness and worry it brings to my children. I know, my quitting should be for me, but to cut my life short is just not fair to my loved ones, either. And yes, I do not want to make this about me, already have a thread on it. lol But still happy to report, I had a good week without smoking.
    gracer likes this.
  3. chanelskii

chanelskii Member

That is sad to hear. My friend is like that as well. She would smoke every after class and finishes a pack per day and then still drink alcohol at night. I don't know how she does it but she often kidds about dying early because of her lifestyle but does not do anything to change it.
    gracer likes this.
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Sorry for your loss. It's a miracle that your aunt lived for so long. Considering the amount of cigarettes she smoked per day, am surprised she didn't suffer a major ailment even in her prime years. Being a woman, she could have been more vulnerable to the adverse effects of smoking compared to a man but all the same , smoking isn't good for either sex. I must also admit that it's likely that she could have lived long had she not been a smoker.
    gracer likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Sorry to here that about your aunt.

Losing anybody is always hard, and your bound to ask questions as to IF she had have stopped, if it would have prolonged her life.

The fact is though, no matter what you think, nothing will bring them back, so it's best to remember them as they were, not ask what if?

She was your favourite aunt, smoker or not.
    gracer likes this.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I think the previous generations treated cigarettes a bit more casually and I'm just glad that the next generation is finally learning. Not to mention there have been a few actually good alternatives that have popped up recently such as vaping.
    gracer likes this.
  7. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt. It's always hard to lose someone close to you. In the previous generations, smoking was much less taboo. Take a look at the commercials and live television during the 50s and 60s here in America for example, blatant advertising of cigarettes and other tobacco products. I wish she was able to complete the path to recovery.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

So sorry to hear about your aunt, but wow... for a chronic smoker she lived such a long time, considering she smoked that much! I'm amazed myself. But I also feel so sad for her, she was 7 years older than my mom. It's so sad, your aunt sounds like she was such a healthy strong woman, I mean, odds are she could have lived longer if she had quit during her first or second decade.

I hate smoking so much, I can't understand how people can like it so much... to the point they are willing to die for it. As the relative of someone who is a smoker, I got to tell you I've learnt to despise smoking and cigarettes in general so much.

So sorry about your aunt, wish there were good treatment options for people who smoke and want to quit smoking. If only there was a way to make smokers want to quit smoking...
    gracer likes this.
  9. gracer

Thank you so much for all your kind words guys! :) I actually miss her until now and I still think of her sweet character every now and then but thinking about how long she lived despite her addiction is already a consolation for me. The complications though wouldn't have occured had she not been a smoker.
  10. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Well, 67 is not that old in my opinion. I have met smokers over the age of 80 and they are in a pretty good shape as well.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear this, 67 is quite soon, but I must also say that people who smoke 1 pack a day don't get past 50, unfortunately. I guess the ability of not developing any illness upon smoking really depends on your body strength, because I've known people smoke for 60 years, reached 80 and can still drive a vehicle and ride a bycicle.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

A famous comedian here named Dolphy died of complications due to emphysema. He had been suffering for 5 years before succumbing. Friends close to him related his need for oxygen and his difficulty to move due to lack of air in his lungs which seemed to have shrunk. That disease is terrifying.
    gracer likes this.
  13. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

With all due respect, she made her decision in life. She wanted to continue smoking, even when she was already ill. Nothing and nobody could stand in the way between her cigarettes and her. She could have given it all away at any time, but someone prevent her from doing it. It was herself. It's an awful waste of health, energy, and resources. Not to mention the empty space she left when she passed away prematurely. I hope that her illness didn't cause her too much pain or suffering before she died.
    gracer likes this.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

50 years is such a long amount of time to be a heavy smoker - yes, she's lucky to have lived so long but it certainly does make you think if things may have been different had she not smoked so heavily for so long. It's still heartbreaking though to lose a loved one, no matter the circumstance of their passing or if they had an addiction that may have contributed to that or not. I feel like back in the day though, that was when smoking was truly glamorized and the dangers weren't really known -- so once an addiction is there obviously it can be hard to break, even when the dangers are clear as day now.
    gracer likes this.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

67 does seem too soon. But if she had no regrets and still enjoyed her life despite the smoking, then you can be consoled with it. Perhaps your aunt thought she had already lived her life the way she should have. It's just a little sad to think of what she had endured before she passed on. At least she had someone like you who loved and still loves her dearly.
    gracer likes this.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's such a sad story to hear about your aunt, but they have no one to blame but themselves, because they already know that smoking is bad for their health, yet they chose to still do it. We really can't do anything if they won't help themselves.
    gracer likes this.
  17. gracer

Thank you for all the consoling guys! :) Even after a long time since my Aunt's death, reading all your posts still warms my heart in a certain way. I guess this is a lesson we all must learn when it comes to addiction, no matter what kind of addiction we have it still pays to change once we find the chance to. It's sad to be in the company of addiction until one's death.
  18. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I fear that will be fate as well. I've been a smoker since I was 17. I am now 47 my doctor has told me I am in the early stages of COPD. This hasn't stopped me. My health is awful due to smoking. I just don't want to stop even if it kills me which it probably will.
  19. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

First, I am sorry for your loss. Your aunt lived a great life as seen by your love for her even after she had passed away. On to the topic, my husband's grandmother is already 83 years old. She is also a chain smoker. Up to now she still smokes and her only health complain is her eyesight. I am actually amazed at how long she has lived. She is still very strong and can even commute from her province to our place which is about an eight hour ride. I guess because she lives in the province, she has a healthy lifestyle setting aside her vice. She has fish and vegetables everyday and even fresh fruits from trees. She walks every morning in their town. And the air she breathes is fresh. Maybe other factors contributed to her long life.
    gracer likes this.
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've been quit since January thanks to vaping. I'd recommend it to any smoker trying to quit - I wish I'd tried it sooner.
    gracer likes this.