An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

She Died A Smoker

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by gracer, May 15, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Community Champion

So sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is so difficult especially when it is by something that could have been prevented. You will never know how much longer she would have loved had she never started or had quit smoking. Try not to focus too much on that. Just remember all those beautiful memories you have of her. I hope they will give you comfort.
    gracer likes this.
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @karmaskeeper! I'm sorry to hear that you are in the early stage of COPD. I really don't know what to say right now as I can fairly remember my aunt's situation with yours. I guess she really prepared to die a smoker too because she smoked even when she was already at the last stage of her illness. I guess it's really a matter of different choices on how we want to pass on. Anyhow, I still would like you to know that as long as there's life, hope is always knocking on our doors and change is never too late to embrace if we want to give it a chance. I will be hoping for the best for you. :)

@Coolkidhere, my grandma was also a tobacco smoker and she lived up to her late 80s. I really don't know what factors helped her to reach that age but she had also been smoking since she was still a teenager. I still remember every time she would come and visit us at home, she was the same as your husband's grandmother, she still managed to commute alone to our house and she still had enough strength to build her nightly campfire at our backyard. I had fond memories of her because I could only experience warming myself along the campfire every time she would visit our house. She died of pneumonia when she was around 88-years-old.

Thank you for your comforting words @L_B. :) You're right, every time I would remember my aunt, I could only think of all the happy memories my family had with her. It gives us comfort knowing that even though she's gone, she left us wonderful memories that we'll forever remember her by.
  3. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Wow, that is terribly alike my grandpa story. He died at 67 too and he was a smoker for about 53 years, yes he smoked since 14 or so. He got cancer, but it was discovered in the latest stages. He still continued to smoke, I guess that at that point it wouldn't have made any difference anyway, so why would've he stopped then.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

@gracer
    So sorry to read that she died already. At least you have fond memories of her that you will have forever. I guess there are certain factors that can trigger lung cancer or copd in smokers aside from their smoking cigarettes. My grandmother from my mother's side also smoked. I cannot remember what her illness was but she was hospitalized due to difficulty of breathing. The sad thing is, the hospital where she was confined was burned. Since she was connected to a lot of machineries and tubes, the staff cannot get her out of the hospital. She died there.
  5. gracer

@Coolkidhere I'm a bit speechless with what you shared about your grandmother. I felt a little pinch in my heart when I read about how she died. It must have been awful and painful for you and your family. I'm really sorry she had to die like that.

@GenevB Funny how we share the same story. :) Anyway, I guess your grandpa and my aunt really chose to die along with their smoking because as you said, maybe it wouldn't have made any difference after all. Thank you for making me realize that now. As much as I didn't understand how my aunt could still smoke even at the last stage of her life, I guess it was one thing that made her happy.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

@gracer
    Yeah it was really sad and disappointing. I remember my mom coming home crying to share the news with us. That hospital, the Lung Center of the Philippines, still stands until now. I remember my grandma whenever we pass by that hospital.
    gracer likes this.
  7. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

@gracer I would do the same at that point I guess, at least for my grandpa there wasn't any hope left, he would've only do some treatment that would delay his death, but at that point it was a certainty, even if he quit at that point he would have still been death in a matter of months or so.
    gracer likes this.
  8. gracer

@Coolkidhere I really feel for your family for what you have experienced in a place where she should be recovering from and where her life could have been prolonged.

@GenevB I guess the only consolation with that kind of situation is the thought that your grandpa did not die alone or lonely. Even if he died of sickness, at least he had you guys by his side and your love for him helped him get through the painful stages of his illness.
  9. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

This is an incredible story. I am sorry for your loss. I know how it is to lose your favorite aunt/uncle when he/she seemed to be of prime age. It amazes me how some people can live so long and still smoke and some others pass of respiratory illness and other cigarette smoke related illnesses.
    gracer likes this.
  10. gracer

Thank you so much @sbatz72! :) It's really ironic how some smokers live long despite how long and how much they have been smoking. Some are lucky to live that long while some unfortunately fall ill to respiratory complications and eventually die early. It's really a matter of how we choose to live our lives. Some get addicted to smoking and never got out but there are also some who have chosen to stop and live a new path in life. I am one of those who chose to stop early and I also hope many others would find the inspiration to do so in their own willful time.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Smoking can take the good ones out there. It doesn't discriminate. But who knows how long she would of lived if she hadn't started smoking.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've lost loved ones to this too. Two of my aunts and my Godmother died from smoking in there old age. The strange thing is it wasn't until they were older that they all died from cancer. If smoking doesn't kill you now it eventually will. This is what made me stop smoking cigarettes, the sad thing is you can't force anybody else to quit tho.
    gracer likes this.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I had an aunt that died in her late 80's she was a smoker. She wasn't a heavy smoker and smoked lights. She never had any health problems from smoking never. She was never in need of inhalers or oxygen. She smoked the whole time I knew her which was all my life. She was a lucky one, and there aren't many of those when it comes to the effects of smoking.
    gracer likes this.
  14. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I'm really sorry for your lost, and this is faith bro ! the smoking is just a reason, it was already written that she will die on that age even if she didn't smoke :(
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

That is very sad to hear but it was her choice, it's more then natural that she would still be around had she not done that to her body.
    gracer likes this.
  16. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

It is sad to watch those we care about smoke! All my aunts and uncles died of lung, throat, or mouth cancer from smoking and alcoholism. My mom is the only survivor and has never smoked and rarely drinks. When I see friends smoking it breaks my heart. They may live to an old age; but it most likely will reduce their lifespan. What a sad thing for their children and families.
    gracer likes this.
  17. Loopulk

Loopulk Member

I say go with whatever inspiration you have at any given time. You might not always feel that you deserve it, so doing it for other people too and embracing that it's okay to do it for others too will really help you out.
    gracer likes this.
  18. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's never easy losing someone you love. My grandpa was 80 years old when he died of lung cancer. He smoked for 60 years and smoked until the day he passed away. As soon as he became sick, my granny quit smoking because she wanted to be alive for her grandkids, and I am so thankful for that. It's been 18 years since my grandpa passed away, and 20 years smoke free for my granny. She will be 81 this year and still is healthy as can be.
    gracer likes this.
  19. gracer

I'm really glad to hear that your grandmother has been smoked-free for almost 20 years now. Her decision to quit is proof that it is not always too late to change if one really wants to. She might have quit at a later stage of her life but at least she did and has even reached 81 years and counting. You know it has always been my hope to be able to at least reach that age together with my husband. It would feel so good to achieve a really long life and be able to witness my children have their own families.
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I do agree that people should and do need to stop smoking, (I'm a smoker myself who is trying to quit) I'm not sure that some of the comments on the thread are strictly true.

If a person stops smoking or has never smoked, that doesn't guarantee that they'll live till a ripe old age. My grandfather smokes all his life but died at 98 with a non smoking related illness, my grandmother never smoked but passed away in her early 60's so while smoking is bad for you, so are a lot of other things that we do but people don't mention those.
    gracer likes this.