An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Shisha Water pipe

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Saraldra, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Saraldra

Saraldra Member

I have a question about the traditional Middle-Eastern Water Pipe or Hookah.

I have read conflicting sources, some say that it is as addictive and unhealthy as tobacco and nicotine, while others protest the contrary.

My understanding is that it is simply flavoured water vapour, this alone cannot be as addictive as narcotics.

Does anyone have any experience with the Water Pipe?
  2. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

Well, it is as addictive and unhealthy as tobacco, because it is tobacco. For some reason, a lot of people think it is healthier, but there are no studies that prove that. Shisha is nothing more than tobacco soaked in molasses.

Personally, I love shisha, but don't kid yourself.

Why would you think it's water vapor? It's a sticky, gooey, tobacco that smokes like any other.
  3. Giftbearer

Giftbearer Member

The Hookah contents are actually tobacco. The main difference is that it's flavored with Shisha (which is flavored molasses). This article will tell you more details; http://prevention.gwu.edu/cigarettes-vs-hookah

Hookah is thought to be even worse than cigarettes because the average cigarette smoker takes 8-12 puffs, whereas the average Hookah smoker takes 20-200 puffs in a given time-frame. Much more Nicotine and other toxic substances in the tobacco enter a smoker's system in Hookah smoking than in cigarette smoking because of the longer duration smoked.
    ThatKidWithTheFace likes this.
  4. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

Giftbearer speaks the truth!