An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Shocking pictures in cigarette packs.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by anorexorcist, Jul 28, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Hello, so the other day I read a thread about cigarette companies using shocking and realistic commercials of what smoking can causes you, and then I remembered that here, in Mexico all the cigarettes packs have kind of shocking images on the front of them, some of those images are this:
    http://static.azteca.com/crop/crop....013/13/cigarros-1740492.jpg&coordinates=49,36

And it's really disturbing (at least for me) to saw those pictures while you're smoking, but I'm glad that it's disturbing, because those images made me hesitate before buying cigarettes, and made me think about all the damage that I was causing to myself and to my loved ones...
    Do you have this shocking cigarette publicly in your country? What do you think about this publicity?
  2. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

In the Philippines, we do not have those. All we have are the usual warnings like, "cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health" As simple as that. I have been to other countries though and I have seen those packaging there. I would say that it had an effect on me but I don't think it would work well in the Philippines.
  3. Carrara

Carrara Member

Most of the places I lived or travelled to do not have those - it's a plain text advising of the adverse effects.
    However, I remember colleagues returning from vacations with really shocking images of full-blown diseseas, bad teeth and dissected smoker-lungs. They are indeed extremely off-putting. Enoguh to put the cigarettes in a different package, or box, in order to avoid the imagery.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

We do not have those photos here cause of the "money talks" thing. Those tobacco companies have connections in the government as well so, even there are groups wanting that kinds of photos in the package, it would not happen for now.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

We have that in Canada. It sucks really. I'm an adult and shouldn't constantly be harassed for my choices.
  6. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

In the UK we have them photos on the packets but it never really stops anyone from smoking though.
  7. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

Wow, these are quite graphic pictures. I would think that I too would have been more inclined not to try a cigarette at all. I do not think these pictures should be taken off the cigarette packages in Mexico, maybe other cigarette companies should replace their packages with pictures like this.
  8. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

Here in Algeria, they never post such pictures in the cigarettes packets, they only write few things like "smoke provoke cancer", but they never post such pictures like that, but believe me, it doesn't change anything because all the smokers are aware about what smoking provoke and how it hurts the human health ....
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is really good to publicly show the effects of smoking. In my country, all cigarette packs have such warnings. They are meant to warn smokers about the risks associated with smoking. I do not oppose tho use of such warning since they will make children avoid smoking.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I live in Romania, and yes, there are even some pretty graphic pictures on cigarette packs (which used to scare the living hell out of me when I was young). They don't seem to impress people though, as the number of smokers keeps growing. Most people are like "eh, that won't happen to me, look at X who smoked for Y *10 years and they still seem okay" and other excuses like these. Seriously, people should be more conscious and aware of the horrible effects of smoking.
  11. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

We don't have those in the US, but I'd support them. In a world where we're so desensitized to horrific things in the media, I think shocking pictures are the only thing that might make an impact on people. Just saying "smoking is bad for your health"doesn't really make an impact.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

They don't have those in the States but in Australia they do. A lot of people I know were actually put off smoking since the pictures were so graphic and confronting - so as scary as some of the pictures look it does seem to be having the desired impact of turning some people off cigarettes.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think place like Vietnam and Thailand have shocking images of cigarette smoking and the dangers it can do. Most people don't read the warning labels anyway. So might as well draw a picture for the idiots so they can really understand the harm that it does to them and the people around them.
  14. L_B

L_B Community Champion

We do the same thing here in Canada but sadly the images really don't seem to bother most smokers that I know. We have been doing it for years here along with a warning message inside each pack. I am not sure if it has deterred many people from smoking or what the results have been but in my circle of family and friends I have not seen much change.
  15. MoneyFiend

MoneyFiend Member

New Zealand cigarette packets were covered in images of excessively disturbing body parts. Although many of these images seemed partially prosthetic and fabricated they represented a horrible truth that needed to be spread. Now days you won't often find cigarette packets covered in these images and I am unsure as to why the practice has stopped.
  16. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

You're absolutely right, it doesn't do a thing. All the smokers I know (and I did this myself when I smoked) simply avoid looking at the back of the pack. Problem solved.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

We do have those in my country, although they're always overlooked by the smokers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  18. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Those kinds of images were proposed by our government officials before but many cigarette companies and consumers opposed to that so it was never implemented. Instead, the sin tax bill was the one which was implemented. It was also opposed by many but I'm glad it pushed through. The sin tax wasn't as big as it was supposed to be though so many consumers still could afford to buy cigarettes.
  19. michaelrydell

michaelrydell Member

First I've heard of pictures like this being included in cigarette packs. Interesting way to turn people off though. Just like the commercials we have in the U.S., I think it would more effective keeping new potential smokers away, rather than grossing out long time smokers enough to hang 'me up. I've been smoking for 20 years, still can't find a way to just take the leap onto shaky ground and quit.