An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Shopping addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Damien Lee, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

For better or worse, we live in a highly capitalistic society. We're told that we need to go out there to compete in order to make money. Then, we're told that we need to spend this money in all sorts of consumables to make us feel better. This is of course unhealthy, fortunately many folks around the world are waking up to the horrors of runaway consumerism.

Have you or a loved one been addicted to shopping?

Did you hoard various products to make yourself feel better?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not got addicted into shopping. I am someone who will usually buy things that are just needed and I mostly buy foods/groceries. Although there are times that I could classify myself as an impulsive buyer.
  3. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That's not so uncommon. I've seen it with boys and girls and it's just the adrenaline and the idea behind spending the money which makes you addicted, it's completely understandable. It's not healthy and the way to overcome is by having self-control, you need to stop yourself and you can do it, it's just a matter of will.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Back when I had an stable job I used to spend quite a bit money, not very often, but there were times I just felt the urge to go on a shopping spree. I'd not call it an addiction, because I didn't do it very often. But I know someone who is definitely addicted to shopping: my oldest sister.

She is in a lot debt because she uses her credit card to change her wardrobe every single year, plus other things like throwing parties for her friends and pretend she is upper class. That is a very expensive task, so she ends up spending a lot money she doesn't even have. She is totally addicted to shopping.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I didn’t have an overall shopping addiction as such. I’m usually quite the planner and pinchpurse, in fact. But I did notice when I spent a couple of years in a depression that was so low-level I wasn’t entirely aware I was even depressed (but it was still there, in hindsight), my makeup-buying habit started getting a bit out of hand. I was spending within my means, but I was buying more than I could use, or that I even had space for. I guess I was finding comfort in vanity. I was able to stop, but I have to be very mindful that I don’t transfer it into another trinket-buying habit when my mood isn’t the best.
  6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I am the kind of person who had a simple life in everything. Even I had the extra money after paying all my expenses I rather save it for our emergency funds. I seldom go shopping to buy clothes or other things that are in the latest fashion. As long as the clothes I am wearing is still convenient to use I will not buy new ones. And if ever, I will just shop the important things or the basic necessities we need. Our present life will not be always the same and we do not know what will be our life in the future. That is why I rather save money than shopping around.
  7. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I used to but not really anymore. When I would go to the mall, I would always get everything I see. My mom used to be the same and that's how she racked up 1,000$ worth of debt on her credit card LOL!