An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Short Term Effects of Drug Use

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Does one have to use drugs for a long time in order for the drugs to negatively affect them? No. The long term effects of drug abuse can be very bad but so are the short term effects.

Some short term effects of drug use.

- Drugs will cloud your judgment. You'll make bad decisions. Bad decisions that could cost you something valuable.
    - Drugs will unleash the daredevil in you. Many people have lost their lives doing things they wouldn't have done if they were sober.
    - You'll end up being friends with other addicts, people who will not be a good influence . . .

Not great are they? Drugs aren't fun.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think we all know the damage that drugs can do, no matter if its short or long term abuse but people end up in situations through their own fault or not, were they are exposed to drugs.

While the danger is well known, sometimes the temptation is to great to resist.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Clouded judgement is a dangerous thing indeed. I feel like looking back to my addiction to drinking, that at the start one bad decision led to another, and another, and another. Once I was in that headspace where I had impaired judgment it just seemed to snowball.

Fact of the matter is that even from the start, drugs are doing you damage, even if you think it's harmless.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Drugs have nothing good to bring people, period. I think that people should not even try to justify the reasons that they want to try it, because once they're hooked, there's no turning back and they will spiral into a world of depravity.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Those are so true.
    Even just one night of being in addiction can make someone life miserable or be in regret. There could be things they can do under the influence of the substance that could lead to worst decisions or accidents.
  6. Some drugs can cause extremely long lasting negative effects. Amphetamines, for example, can cause psychosis and symptoms that resemble schizophrenia. People usually recover in a month, but approximately 10% of people won't and will have some lasting effects.
  7. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Many people rationalize the first time they do drugs. They may think "I'll do this once or twice, and be done. I won't get addicted," or "I only need this until I get through this rough patch, then I will quit." Depending on the substance and the individual, addiction may occur the first time.
  8. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I do believe that the short and the long term effects of taking drugs are equally the same. It is just that in the long run the adverse effects of taking drugs have a longer and more enduring effect upon your life. I speak from personal experience that an addiction can utterly destroy your life. Nevertheless one should make a very keen effort to overcome an addiction as soon as possible.
  9. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

That is indeed very much my same sentiments. One night of pleasure could be an eternal or lifelong moment of destruction. I remember that I became addicted to sex at one point I went into intercourse unprotected. I fretted my heart out for many months until I finally got a check and realized that I was negative for any std's.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that you are able to get rid of the addiction and that the results were negative.
  11. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

It's amazing how a one night stand with drugs can cost you as much as your life. I've had many close calls because of my addictions but somehow God delivered me.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah well its like anything else. You have to use your head about it. I remember quite awhile ago I was prescribed a cough medicine. I don't really go for stuff like this now. What that stuff did was just outrageous. The side effects were just horrible. They were so bad psychologically I pulled out this medical book a friend had given me. It was a reference book of drugs. I looked it up and read through the side effects. I threw it out and went for the natural cough medicines after that. Why they make these things is beyond me. Its criminal.
    Short term effects of street drugs is what you are talking about. Yeah this is bad too. There's no pamphlet on that. These so called friends and dealers don't give you a disclaimer. The drugs stay in your body, cells, and organs for decades if you don't detoxify them. They wreak a ton of havoc on a person in many different ways even if they are not on them any more. It has to be detoxed out.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Probably the worst short-term effect is losing control. It's pretty crappy when you spend money on drugs when you already know that it's bad and unhealthy, but you feel like you need them. Addictions are hard, but definitely not impossible to overcome.