An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

SHOULD ALCOHOL COMPANIES BE BANNED FROM USING ADDICTIVE AGENTS?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Adrianna, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Should alcohol companies be banned from using addictive agents in their booze to keep people addicted? How about the carcinogens? The agents that cause cancer. I'd say they are majorly at fault for putting these additives in their products.
    Donnchadh and Damien Lee like this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I wasn't aware that beer companies did put these kind of additives in their products to be honest, and if thy do then something isn't right.

Alcohol itself is addictive so I'm not sure why they'd feel it necessary to add even more addictive ingredients in there on top.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Erm, the addictive agent in alcoholic drinks is, well, alcohol isn't it? Even if they got rid of all the supposed nasties, you'd still be left with a drink that contains one of the most harmful and addictive substances known to man - alcohol.
    JonnyMacdonald and pwarbi like this.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

This is the first time I hear of alcohol companies adding additives that could make their drinks even more addictive. If that's the case, then something should definitely be done to put an end to this. Alcohol is harmful as it is, it boggles the mind what some companies will do for profit.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think the alcohol itself is probably the most damaging and addictive substance that is used in alcoholic drinks anyway, as far as I am aware. I'm not sure what else goes into them but I know that there are sulphates in many alcoholic drinks like cider which can, potentially, be quite dangerous.
  6. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

It's quite of a common practice conducted by many alcohol companies to insert these so-called additives in order to make us more addicted to the respective product, but it's quite obvious that nobody will implement such rules against them simply because it will be counterproductive to their actual sales. As much as I share your opinion, we must think pragmatically. Just... don't fall into their trap and you'll be fine! :)
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I've never heard of alcoholic beverages having addictive agents in them, besides alcohol and I really don't think that they do. Unless everyone does it, including the people that make their own wine, beer and spirits.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I don't think the companies can be banned from adding addictive agents to the liquor they sell because they are in the business of making alcohol. Should someone else lace the alcohol with some chemical that will make it more addictive so they can make more money then these are the people who should be arrested and locked away.
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that companies need to be careful in what they do and also how they mix it with alcohol as that can cause some people to be addicted to the substance and lose control of their life, as they can think that alcohol is a friend but it can make the person feel lonely in the world. It is interesting when extra additives are added in and also it can make the mind get affected by the extra stuff added in, the ones who illegally add stuff to it are causing the health of people who drink it as they can have long hospital stays. I hope that people see where the additives are from and only from a company which has a good reputation and also trustworthy, as buying it from a source which is untrustworthy is not good and can cause issues.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that the alcohol content makes it an addictive drink. If they are adding other addictive substances and illegal substances, they should be stopped and arrested for that. All ingredients should be revealed in a label.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

But on most beers the ingredients ARE on the label, that's why I'm saying I'm not sure if other additives are added, especially ones that can cause addiction as the alcohol itself does that.

If they did do that, wouldn't they just be wasting their own money as people become addicted anyway, even without extra additives
  12. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

What is an addictive agent? Isn't alcohol addictive all on it's own? I don't think I've ever come across a beer that had any sort of weird ingredients that I didn't recognize. When it comes to being addicted to alcohol, people are being drawn into the alcohol alone. I don't even think there are weird additives. Alcohol sells just fine on it's own
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Same sentiments here. What's the purpose of those addictive agents in the first place, if alcohol is already an addictive beverage, right?

Anyway, I don't think alcohol companies would get banned for doing that, if they are really adding those addictive agents in their products. I mean, it's a business.
  14. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I am very interested in this topic because honestly i did not know that they use these agents and substances. I will try do some research about it but i will also ask anyone here to give me some short list of these additives and spirits that contain them. It is very disturbing to hear something like this. We make here our own liquor and it is natural but from time to time we do buy something and i do not like the sound of it now. I really hope to hear from any one here about this. I will read all posts and i do agree these companies should be banned or even closed.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The more I think about this, the more far-fetched it seems. There are only a few things that are more addictive than alcohol and you certainly couldn't get away with adding them to the brew!

Does anyone have a source at all? I tried looking but couldn't find one.
  16. shuffz

shuffz Member

Adding the agents and other "weird" ingredients sounds very unhealthy - and yes, of course it is. It's just a marketing trick and business, basically. If the alcohol itself wasn't scary enough, the agents in it are definitely something to think about.

Alcohol has been a product for many many centuries now and it's been here for a long time. Everyone consumed it, everyone still does and it's becoming more and more filled with these ingredients.

Sources would be very welcome though - what kinds of ingredients and such, sounds like something that everyone could learn something from.
  17. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I never actually heard that alcohol companies put extra additives in the alcohol, but it wouldn't surprise me. Corporate America does nasty things from time to time, and this may well be one of them. I guess we need to always be on our toes when dealing with them.
  18. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Well, of course they should be, yet alcohol in itself is rather addictive. In my country, there are people usually in villages who produce some alcoholic drinks from fruits, without adding any additives in it. But, I do not have any doubt that big corporations do that..
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

My source is a Russian friend. Lol her husband is an alcoholic and I asked her how he was on the homemade stuff they would drink when they lived there. They live in the states now and he is drinking commercial stuff. The junk that you buy in any liquor store. She said you know what you are right he was fine on the homemade he had control. They put things in the alcohol now so you just go wild over it and it becomes a problem. Some people are more inclined to do this than others. References? It just makes sense these huge corporations are doing it with everything. The food, the big one there is high fructose corn syrup. It makes you always hungry never full so you keep wanting more. Kind of sounds like alcohol. You have a few and you get this craving to get even more tanked up so you drink more. The next day you crave it again. Its the same thing. Anything like this if you can't control the amount or craving you know there is something wrong with it. It is just not normal.
  20. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Perhaps in Russia they may add stuff like that, but for most of the world the alcohol itself is addictive enough.