An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

SHOULD ALCOHOL COMPANIES BE BANNED FROM USING ADDICTIVE AGENTS?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Adrianna, Nov 12, 2015.

1. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

You are correct! No one will prosecute any alcohol company for putting any kind of addictive agent in the beverage they produce, because as you simply put out, it is all business. All companies have their own cooperative ways to help them work with one another, gain profit, influence, support, and such. People are being drawn to alcohol themselves, the very same idea that alcohol can put you in some state of relaxation (or aggression for some) can be something to be drawn to. Different people, different addictions.
  2. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Why do they even do such a thing ? Its not as if alcohol needs any help in being a problem for some people. I'd like to know more information about this as I was previously unaware of it, do you know exactly what is being added to alcohol, i.e., which chemicals or additives ?
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

Since alcohol itself is addictive, I'm not sure much else is necessary. I was not aware that alcohol companies were using any other agents, but they can use what they want as long as it is approved to be on the counters by government and FDA.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

A lot of this sounds like conspiracy theory mumbo-jumbo. HFCS is just another type of sugar, it has little or no satiety difference from other sugars which includes honey and maple syrup along with plain old table syrup.

I think your Russian friend has had too much home-made vodka and cannot be considered a credible source.
    Show me a credible source then we can talk.
  5. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

Yesterday I went to some friend's place and he offered me some home made wine. A glass of it, to give it a try. We started a topic about wine, and they mentioned that the wine you buy in the store from big corporations is made with some powder, like you mix this powdery substance with water or some pure alcohol (i misunderstood that part), like you make these mixtures with juice powders...I am not sure that is true, but I just wanted to see if anyone of you have ever heard of such a thing?
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've never heard of companies making there alcohol addictive. I would always prefer it being made as natural as possible. I don't think any one should intentionally put any thing addictive in any thing we consume. I haven't had any problems with being addicted so far. It could have something to do with the brand you buy.
  7. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I know good and well some food companies will add addictives. Is it really a wonder why junk food is addictive? Though I never knew about alcohol having any addictives in it. I always thought the addictive ingrdient was the alcohol itself. Maybe when it comes to cheap beers and wines you can expect to find all kinds of questionable things. That is not to say that higher priced alcohols can't contain the same addictives but the only way to be sure would be to check the ingredients list or maybe give the company a call.
  8. JonnyMacdonald

Maybe really cheap wine might be made like this.
    BUT as someone who knows people in the wine industry I can tell you that it isn't true.
    mayasupernova likes this.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

As most posters have stated, the addictive ingredient is alcohol itself. If there's something else in alcoholic drinks that are supposed to get you hooked, I think it's failing miserably. That's why alcoholics don't care what they drink as long as it has alcohol.
  10. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Yeah I have to say from where I sit, it looks like it's not the change in type of liquor this Russian is drinking. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, meaning it gets worse over time. So maybe he was fine back home only because he was younger and his problem wasn't as bad yet. I have never heard of them putting other chemicals to make alcohol more addictive, although they have definitely shown that they do it with cigarettes so I suppose it's possible?
  11. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

Hello everyone, my name is Jorge Solis. Yes! I firmly believe that companies should be prohibited from using chemicals that make their products even more addictive. My argument is that these additives not only create a biological need for alcohol but also have dangerous side effects! It is already hard enough to stay away from alcohol and now companies are abusing their clientele by adding these chemicals.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah, very true. I saw this guy drinking this $2.98 wine from trader joes, all the time. Can we just imagine what is in there? It can't be good. Yes I've been contacting companies asking them about what is in their products. I try to buy the best that I can since your health will be related to it.
  13. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

$2.98? Water is a bit cheaper than that stuff... I wouldn't like to buy that thing even if I was the poorest man in the world lol. Obviously joking, but why do these things even get produced? And furthermore... why do people buy 'em?
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, then they'd need to create drinks with no alcohol and sugar :p I doubt anyone would buy those to be honest and those companies know it :) Companies only think about profits, sadly. It's up t us to actually do something about our own habits, but I know how hard it is :( I'm having issues due my current habits...
  15. JonnyMacdonald

I still cannot find any good sources saying that anything in any booze sold in North America is worst for you then the alcohol itself.
  16. Adrianna

Yeah, glad to see some people are paying attention. Some are in complete denial or asleep. Well yeah they are stacking the chemicals with food they are allowed to put whatever they want if its less than 2% and they don't have to list it on the label. Imagine, just imagine what they are putting in alcohol. It is the same way with them. Beer has coloring from cockroaches. The brown coloring. I'd have to look up the word its in other things too. Its just disgusting.
  17. endoftherainbow

endoftherainbow Active Contributor

I doubt they are adding anything like phenylalanine to affect dopamine or anything else that would make the consumer addicted to the contents more than they are normally. It's possible, especially if we're talking about flavored drinks to where the flavoring might have those additives, but usually that's not the case since alcohol, by itself, is addictive without any of that.
  18. JonnyMacdonald

What exactly are you talking about though?
    What are these vague "chemicals" they are putting in our food?
    You realize that most of these things are used for our benefit right? Chemicals are not inherently a bad thing either, the water we drink and the air we breath are technically chemicals.
    They either help food taste better or produce more or keep it shelf stable longer, without modern food processes most of the world would go hungry.
    Beer's colour comes from the malt, the darker the beer the more roasted the malt (like coffee kind of.)
    I can imagine what they are putting in beer, I imagine it to be water, malt, sugar, yeast and hops for about 90% of the beer made in the world.
    Most places already have a ban on adding addictive things without consumer knowledge, so what Jorge Solis is saying is a non-issue it already is that way.
  19. Adrianna

No homemade alcohol is not addictive. What is an addictive agent? Lol go eat McDonald's and see if you want it again, and again. If an ingredient is less than 2% the company is not required by law to put it on the label. That includes anything under the sun that they decide to throw in there.
    Beers have fish bladders and propylene glycol among other things. Propylene glycol, isn't that anti-freeze? Oh no sorry it's found in anti-freeze. Last time I checked we don't want to eat things like this. The caramel coloring is made from ammonia which is classified as a carcinogen. A cancer causing substance is what a carcinogen is. They can hide the lingo any way they want. Doesn't mean it's safe to drink just because the FDA is allowing it. It's criminal.
    I'm pretty sure beer drinkers don't read the label much less notice the anti-freeze in there. I didn't. Time to wake up.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  20. Adrianna

Well yeah, sorry if it seems disturbing. Somewhere here within this topic someone had said they could not find this information. Gotta do your own experiments, a little independent thinking. If you do make your own, you should stick to it really. Unless you check a company top to bottom and get them to fully disclose what is in their booze. You don't want it. I've tasted home made and it's clearly different. You can look up the food babe online she gets companies to give full disclosure and she investigates exactly what is in products.